Windows from one Mac to another...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by daverso, Apr 20, 2009.

1. daverso macrumors regular

Im am trying to reinstall windows on my MacBook Pro. I have windows installed on my mac pro, but unfortunately I lost it on my MacBook Pro when i reinstalled leopard. The problem is, my new puppy chewed up my xp disk. I still have the serial number and all of that jazz, but no disk. I was wondering if I could technically run boot camp on my PC, then just transfer all of the windows files from my Mac Pro to my MacBook Pro and get it to run? Would this work, or would the hardware change make it impossible? Any ideas for a workaround?

2. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

The dog ate your homework, huh?:D

Unfortunately, just moving the XP files from one computer to another won't work; it requires a complete install. I suggest you try to borrow a XP disk from a friend to do the install; as you said, if you have a license, it will work.

Otherwise, I guess you could try eBay (maybe someone is selling a disk without a license) or contacting MS (if you provide your product key as proof of ownership, perhaps youcan obtain a replacement disk.