Windows gone completely mad ?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteneDave, Jul 5, 2011.

1. SteneDave, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

SteneDave macrumors member

I started Call of Duty:MW2 game under Windows 7, STOCK clocks of the GPU and the fans just didnt kick in and let the GPU heat upto 99° ? Then they kept it on average on 77°, but for a minute it was like super hot. I mean seriously thats not acceptable is it ?

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I would get SMC Fan Control to manually control the fans in case they lag behind for a minute like you mentioned. I set a mode for "gaming" in case something goes wrong. If you're using Bootcamp, google an application that lets you control fan speeds. Good luck!

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Apple has the worst Windows drivers known to mankind. Honestly, I'm surprised someone hasn't sued them for false advertising because in reality, their computers can't run Windows. Not well at least.

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

What are the specs of the Mac you're using?

-yannik

5. SteneDave thread starter macrumors member

Its a 2010 MBP 15' 2.4 i5/ nvidia 330m / 8GB Ram

I dont know what to do, I found this lubbos fan speed control, but some people say it messed up their fans speeds under OSX.

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I use LubbosFanControl and when i set my fans to for example 6000 rpm, and i restart my computer to OSX side, the fan speed will not change. so i use SMCFanControl to bring it back down to default.

But Its a good program and i recommend it to you

7. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

99º C literally? Or figuratively really, really, really hot.

Still under warranty? If so, applecare should cover a melted computer :)
    (since you said it's not overclocked or anything)

8. SteneDave thread starter macrumors member

It gets weirder guys,

when I actually overclock the 330m to clocks that all other PCs with this graphics have: 575/790/1265 instead of Apple's 500/790/1100 the fans seem to kick in at the right time, max temp before they kicked in was 87° by the same game.

I will test it further. But my highest temps were actually always caused by default clocks = weird.

Im using the latest offical nvidia driver, NOT the boot camp driver.

Literally, glad I found out now and not after months of heavy use, under warranty to 2013 fortunately.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

Try reinstalling Windows perhaps? I also have a 2010 MBP with the 330m and the fans kick in like they should.

Perhaps something is wrong with your EFI so if reinstalling doesn't work, take it to Apple.

10. SteneDave thread starter macrumors member

Could you try to run a game please and measure the temps along with it ? 15 minutes would be enough.

I mean my fans kick in at the right time 9 times out of 10 letting it to max 87° but just occasionally they don't, so maybe its an issue people don't know about because they don't measure it, but it still happens ?