Windows harddrive icon no longer shows up on mac desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revulsion, Mar 16, 2012.

1. revulsion macrumors newbie

Hello,

Since my Windows partition was only 30 gigabytes when I initially set it up, I decided to shrink the size of my Mac partition and expand my Windows partition. I thought that this adjustment worked perfectly. That is to say, my Windows partition still loads. Namely, it still shows up on the boot screen when I hold down the option key. However, it no longer shows up as a harddrive icon on my Mac desktop.

Furthermore, in Disk Utility, my Windows partition is no longer recognized (the partition is no longer named Windows HD--it is named disk0s4). When I view the information about disk0s4 (the old Windows partition), it is still only 30 gigabytes as opposed to the ~100 gigabytes that I resized it to.

Even though my Windows partition still technically works, I would still like my Mac partition to recognize that I have a Windows partition.

Note that I used Bootcamp Assistant to set up my Windows partition.

Thanks for all of the help! If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

-Revulsion

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop:

3. revulsion thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. I already have my harddrives showing up on my desktop (my Macintosh HD shows up).

The problem my Windows HD still wont show up and is still not recognized by Disk Utility.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is it still mounted in disk utility even though its showing a different name?

what method did you use to resize the bootcamp partition in the first place

5. simsaladimbamba

And can you actually boot into Windows, you only said, it shows up in the boot selection screen.

6. revulsion thread starter macrumors newbie

I can still actually boot into Windows, which is odd!

Furthermore, the disk0s4 is not mounted (and will not mount even if I try). It is also not repairable.

In addition, I manually resized the Mac partition using some service provided by Apple (it comes on Mac OS X--forgot the name though). I resized the Windows partition by using some application I found on the internet, which I also forgot the name of unfortunately.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

maybe during the resize it changed the name, and now thats whats giving you issues

8. revulsion thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go about resolving that issue?

9. simsaladimbamba

Do you still have the application on your Mac OS X partition or in your browser history?

10. revulsion thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually resized the Windows partition when I was running Windows. However, I tried to re-find the application I used, but I can't (used CCleaner so my browsing history was erased).

11. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X and Windows version do you use then? And did you use that application from inside Windows or did you burn it to CD/DVD or copy it to a USB flash memory thumb drive?
    Maybe gParted can help?

12. revulsion thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the application from Windows. I'm currently running Lion and Windows 7.

EDIT: I'll take a look at gparted.