Windows has SQL & Oracle; Mac has ... ?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by imods, Sep 18, 2007.

1. imods macrumors newbie

The title has everything i'd like to know.

anyone please?

2. garethlewis2 macrumors 6502

Might as well give an answer.

SQL is a language. It is not a database. It is the language a database uses to query the data in the tables.

Oracle is just a Database server. Not a very good one. It still gets it ass served on a plate bt DB2, Micosoft SQL Server and Sybase.

You can get Oracle and Sybase on OS X.

3. cmuench macrumors member

Or you can go the free route and get mysql, postgresql or sqlite. just to name a few. What are you going to be interfacing with? how big is your databases? Do you use lots of sp and views? Answers will help us get a version for you.

4. savar macrumors 68000

savar

umm Oracle is pretty bad ass...which is why every fortune 50 company has it. DB2 is good from what I hear, the other's can't touch oracle though.

5. imods thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm talking here about databases for large corporations and in terms of standards.

Between, I tried to download Oracle from their website, but i couldn't find one for Mac OS X (Client Edition). I only found one version for Mac OS server!!

Thanks for your replies!

6. devnill macrumors newbie

devnill

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

8. imods thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I was talking about this webpage http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/index.html

There i only found Oracle Database 10g Release 1 (10.1.0.3) for Mac OS X Server

Between, can MySQL work with Microsoft SQL Server? <-- Sorry if that was a stupid question!

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.