Windows in both VMWare and Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JayQC, Dec 21, 2009.

1. JayQC macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone knew what happened when you tried to install a copy of Windows on VMWare with a specific key and then install a copy of Windows in Boot Camp using that same key (or vice-versa), does MS detect it as one IP address and lets you activate twice or will I run into problems with both my Windows installations that will be considered illegal from then on.

Has anyone tried this? Do I need to buy two licenses to accomplish this ?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Just use phone activate and say you only installed it on one system.

No problems on this side.

3. JayQC thread starter macrumors member

You did this? and they trusted you? I would have thought they'd ask for a proof that you're activating it on the same system !

You think network activation would see a duplicate and refuse to activate? (I really don't know if it's the same IP address on Boot Camp and VMWare, if it's the case it may detect it to be identical and allow for activation)

4. Harry0620 macrumors newbie

After you activated the W7 in bootcamp online, your activation in VM online will fail (or vice versa). You have to call them and spend about 5 minutes to complete the activation process by phone. During the process you have to tell them the product key comes with the W7 disk. then you have to tell them a series of # on your screen that is generated during the activation process then they will issue you another key to type into your system to complete the activation. Only the last set of # is different from your product key activated through bootcamp installation.

The product key is still generated from your DVD product key and your hardware cofigurations. I do not believe the IP address is really involved in the product key - otherwise when you move your laptop from place to place, the IP is changed. of course I could be wrong.

5. JayQC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that clears things up ! Sounds like an easy process then.

I think you're right about the IP address, it will not be the same on another network so it must not validate itself this way.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Why not install it via Boot Camp first, then get VMWare too boot up off that newly created Boot Camp partition, that way you can boot up into Windows and have just Windows open, or you can boot up into OS X and open the same operating system, the same files, the same programs in a VMWare window? :)

7. Harry0620 macrumors newbie

I can run W7 three ways. (1) Bootcamp only; (2) Bootcamp through VMware (no W7 installation required and (3) VM only. Running W7x63 through bootcamp has the fastest performance (5.9 on the hard disk but the rest is between 7.1 to 7.4 in the W7 rating). Running W7 through VM bootcamp is the slowest - too slow - I already removed this configuration from the VM library.

I am now mostly running W7x64 in VM (the rating is down to 4.4 to 5. something) Although the rating is lower but I have not seen any performance issue during my daily regular use (internet, Excel financial modeling etc, of course no games). I have a new Imac i5.

8. JayQC thread starter macrumors member

Hadn't thought of that, sounds like it would get rid of the activation problem since it's the exact same OS, and I wouldn't have to install all programs twice or delegate twice the HD space to Windows. Does it work as well as installing it directly in VMWare though?

So you are saying that VMWare Fusion (v3 I believe?) using the BC installation is slower than VM using it's own install?

The rating is quite relative anyway, it's only an indication of the performance you can expect.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Well of course they trusted me, I'm talking to a damned machine.

Furthermore, I'm not breaking the Licensing agreement. I only installed it on ONE physical system. How much time I install it doesn't matter, except after a while Microsoft will complain the key's in use and i have to reactivate (only after reinstalls)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had to go through a body-cavity search before they let me do it a second time :eek:

11. Harry0620 macrumors newbie

So you are saying that VMWare Fusion (v3 I believe?) using the BC installation is slower than VM using it's own install?

Yes. This performance difference has been discussed on another thread

The rating is quite relative anyway, it's only an indication of the performance you can expect.[/QUOTE]

You are right even at around 4. the system is still very responsive

12. lennyg macrumors newbie

windows on a mac good or bad

this is a question i had ? is the windows on a mac any good,someone told me i already have this bootcamp on my imac.And i would just need a copy of windows to install on bootcamp does anyone else have this set-up? Is it good or bad to do to mac. as you can tell i am not a computer guy but my wife needs windows sometimes for work, so i wanted to make it better then buying another pc
    thanks for your help

lenny g.

13. Harry0620 macrumors newbie

Depends on what Mac you have. I have a new Imac i5. I have installed W7x64 on Bootcamp as well as on VM Fusion 3. I do not see any degrading performance at all. If you do not use Windows for games then I suggest you install Windows as VM on Fusion 3 (or parallel 5). W7 operation is as fast as my other laptop with P8700 processor and 4g memory.

I have to go through some hurdles to get the W7x64 installed on bootcamp. First you go through bootcamp to partition your HDD. Then follow the bootcamp instruction (from Apple) to install Windows. Since Apple is not supporting W7 at this time. you have to delete a display driver - otherwise the screen is black. I have W7 on both bootcamp and VM Fusion 3. Install W7x84 as VM in Fusion is much easier and straight forward. You need a copy of W7. If you want to install W XP then you also need to have SP2 on the same XP disk. There are several thread discuss installation issues. It is not hard at all. Just takes some time.

14. bhuado macrumors newbie

bhuado

tell me

hello please someone tell me: is it safe to install windows 7 through boot camp on my iMac? because when i open boot camp assistant it doesn't reference windows 7. PLEASE someone tell me! i don't want to waste 150 euros for windows 7 that they are not compatible with the snow leopard!! PLEASE tell me can i safely boot camp windows 7 on a 3.06Ghz mac with 4GB of RAM? :confused:

15. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Its not technically supported yet, but people have had success installing it

With regards to Windows re-activation, I re-activate my old Windows XP computer a good 5 or 6 times over the phone. This was due to hardware changes mainly. They asked for the reason so I told them. Even told them when it got a virus and I had to re-build

16. Harry0620 macrumors newbie

Yes, I am running W7x64 with wireless KB and Magic mouse without any problem at all using current Bootcamp drivers (version of SL with Imac i5 is slightly difference than the regular 10.6.2). Make sure you use a non-wireless KB and mouse during installation. It takes time but works fine

17. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I have installed Windows and Office about 5 times and have never had a problem with using phone activation. As long as you have a legitimate reason they allow you to activate it without a problem.

18. bhuado macrumors newbie

bhuado

wow really? AWESOME! because i read that wireless keyboard and magic mouse won't work on botcamp. thanks for the help everybody, i may get windows 7 from Santa HOHOHO. Happy Holidays to everyone:D

19. zigzagler macrumors newbie

i'm having this problem of not being able to copy any text from my WinXP (VMWare 3) to my mac after upgrading to VMWare 3.0. I was able to do so back in VMWare 2.0 though. And yes, I've installed the latest VMWare Tools.

Any idea?

On a totally separate topic, how do i make sure my mac doesn't automatically boot up from my clone backup drive (via FW800) whenever I start up my mac? Cause I noticed whenever I disconnect the ext HDD & reconnect it, my mac will somehow boot up from my clone backup drive (which i backup using SuperDuper).

Thanks!

20. Harry0620 macrumors newbie

I am using VM Fusion 3.0.1 and have no problem copying back and forth between W7 and OSX 10.6.2. Therefore, I can not help you on your problem.

If you are in OSX then go to system preference - startup and select the OSX HDD for start-up. Or next time when you reboot hold down the "option" key to boot. then you can select which media to boot from.