Windows Install and Bootcamp Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BA1993, Nov 22, 2008.

1. BA1993 macrumors newbie

Hello!

New Mac User.

I tried to install XP Pro with SP3 on Bootcamp but didn't work.
    Currently on the disk is a stand-alone .exe file.:confused:
    When I tried to use it as an install disk in Bootcamp it didn't allow it.
    How do I get the .exe file to install on :apple: Bootcamp?

ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED :) .

NEED TO DO THIS TODAY.

THANKS.
    :)

2. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

that should work - never the less if it doesnt then you need to try and create a bootable disc. is the xp version legal or dodgy. if its legal and just of the shelf then you should take it back get a new one. should work - although if you are going to use parallels or something like that, use that program to install it. not bootcamp

3. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

You need a proper XP SP3 disc, not just a CD With some EXE on it.

4. BA1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a legal version with key, ect. downloaded from the internet. Can you tell me how to create a bootable disk from my .exe?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well at very least it is safe to say that you will not be able to make one on a Mac without Windows being already installed (i.e. someone else's machine or a PC) since an .exe file is a Windows executable file.

I would think that the source from which you purchased this software from would be the best source of information regarding it.

Hopefully the source is not one of the "Cheap Software Closeout Overstock OEM" pirate sites that are all over the net right now masquerading as legitimate software resellers. I have to wonder honestly, since I have never heard of Microsoft distributing XP electronically.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, you'll have to use a Windows-based system to do that. I had a downloaded version of XP and Vista both (through my college), and not only did I have to burn them, I actually had to download them on a Windows system (obviously not the same system as you).

jW

7. BA1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok

Thanks for the replies. I will visit a Windows machine on Monday and I will try it out.