Windows Install Hanging up on new Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fenderbass146, Jun 12, 2013.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I just purchased a 256 GB new MacBook air, I am trying to get my bootcamp partition to work, but it keeps hanging up on expanding files. I have tried this three times, 2 different discs, and I made a windows 7 flash drive with the image off of Microsoft's website and they all hang up at 65% expanding files, Anyone have any ideas. Starting to get very frustrated.

2. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

Your frustrations are just begining. I have got past that, but it gets to a point where the keyboard and mouse won't work so you can't proceed with the install. I think it happens at the point where you name the notebook.

3. fenderbass146, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I just ****ing got there. I have installed bootcamp on 15 plus computers and never had a problem, now I finally go it installed and can't get the mouse or keyboard working. What the hell.

Could having Maverick installed make any difference, I can't imagine it was seeing as how its a completely different partition.

EDIT: somewhat got it working, I fortunately have VMWARE fusion and I was able to access the bootcamp partition and get it loaded up

Edit 2: still having issues, I am able to get to desktop, but still have no keyboard control or mouse, and stupid usb 3.0 needs drivers....so I cant even plug in a keyboard. I attempted to install drivers via VMware but no luck.

Any suggestions, this is killing me

4. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Got it working, I just remade the flash drive and it worked, sorry don't have an answer besides that.

5. sick z33 macrumors 6502

6. Yixian macrumors 65816

How did you remake the flash driver in a way that allowed Windows to see our USB3 keyboard and trackpad?

I am stuck at the installer, it loads up ok but I cannot get past the first screen due to keyboard and trackpad being completely dead.

7. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I didn't do anything special, when I made the bootcamp parition in previous attempts, I just used the bottom check box and didn't create a bootable flash drive or add in the windows support software. I just used my superdrive and a windows 7 disc like I did in the past.

The time that I got it to work, I used an external hard drive usb 2.0 and checked all the boxes in the bootcamp assistant and it worked fine. Keyboard and Mouse, and all drivers installed fine after that.

Sorry I wish I had a better answer then that.

8. Yixian macrumors 65816

Damn, I can't understand why the installer freezes/keyboard&trackpad don't respond then.. I thought it was due to USB3...

Zero clue what to do now.

9. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

It is due to usb 3.0 in regards to the mouse and keyboard not working, but i think the windows support software somehow added the driver when you have bootcamp assistant make the install disc., did you select all the options in the bootcamp asstiant. We are playing thread tag, I commented in your other post with a suggestions as well

10. chrfr macrumors 603

Presumably you're using a USB 3.0 flash drive to install. Apple's recommendation is to build the Windows installer on a USB 2.0 flash drive to work around the hang:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4589

11. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Can't speak for him, but I still had problems using 2.0 devices.

12. Yixian macrumors 65816

I'm suing a regular USB2 stick.

Just tried it with the Apple support software included and still no dice. I can't tell whether the installer freezes or if the keyboard and trackpad aren't working, but it just sits there on language selection.

I'm going to go find an ISO for a version of Windows 7 with USB3 drivers included and just hope that works, after that I am clueless.

13. swenak, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

swenak macrumors member

Hi,

any news in this? I have same problem, boot directly from USB not work (USB2, USB3), if I use bootcamp utility for dual boot, Windows start installing, but it freeze at 52% in unpacking.

Thanks, Peter

EDIT: I try wait on 52%, than unpacking continued, than freeze on 96% and after wait, it is 100% unpacked, installation is finished!

14. leanjen macrumors newbie

Use right USB-port

I don't know if anyone tried this, but apparently, you need to use the LEFT USB-port on the MBA, when you look at it from the front. Using the one at the right-hand side, will give you the problem with the mouse.

15. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

This is usually the case with faulty or bad installs. I've had the same thing happen with OS X more times than I care to remember. I'm glad it was a somewhat simple fix.

16. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I actually redid my bootcamo usin windows 8 and efi option and it went flawlessly first Try using the USB method

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I had the same problem, and had to redo the USB drive several times. Tried using a USB 3.0 stick, and that didn't work. Using a 2.0 stick it got hung up on extracting files. Had to try a third stick, and redid that one like 3 times.

Ughhhh....

18. thascottymac macrumors newbie

Hit esc, but don't cancel the installation

its almost like the USB 2.0 stick fell asleep. I hit esc to cancel the install, but then went back to it, and it fired right back up again.

MBP late 2013 Mavericks 10.9.3
    Win 7 Home Premium