Windows install. on iMac - does not create partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cladddaghring, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cladddaghring macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone!
    Just bought an iMac with Leopard on it, and wanted to install Win XP Pro for some of it`s applications, and data retrieval from PC Hard Drive.
    Well - when inserted the ORIGINAL Win XP Professional CD, and booted with "MENU" button pressed on the remote, I started the installation from a CD.
    At some point there is a question from the installer, asking if to create a new partition, or delete current.
    Obviously - I wanted to create a new partition, but that option does not work! The next window that comes up says "Partition could not be created. Volume partition unknown,", or something like that...
    Basically - Win XP installer does not recognise the disk structure, or partition, and the only option it leaves me with is the CANCELLATION AND FORMATTING of the current partition, which I would obviously would like to avoid at all cost...
    Any ideas? :confused:
    Thanks! - cladd

2. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

You have to run the BootCamp installer located in the utilities folder of your iMac.