Windows installation doesn't start after bootcamp partitioning

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by scrapisimo, Apr 9, 2010.

1. scrapisimo macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini and I am running Snow Leopard and BootCamp 3.0 . I am trying to install Windows XP. I'm using BootCamp to partition the disk. I've tried with different sizes, the outcome was the same. After partitioning i can see the Bootcamp volume in Finder, and on the desktop. Bootcamp then tells that I can start the installation. The Windows XP CD is in the drive. Restart follows. And then nothing..there is nothing, but the gray screen. No installation starts. I have to shut down the computer and start it again. This time I hold the option key and there is only the Mac OS volume! There is no sign from the BootCamp volume. After starting the computer again it doesn't boot from the Mac OS volume, there is the gray screen only, which means that the startup disk have been changed and that usually happens when you install windows with bootcamp - it changes the startup volume from Mac OS to the BootCamp volume, but still the BootCamp volume is not there.

I've installed Windows XP with Boot Camp several times. I know how it works. Installation starts automatically after the restart .I've never seen something like that.

thanks in advance

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Assuming your XP install disc is still in there, it should be seen here too unless for some reason it is not bootable. Are you sure this particular disc is bootable? I also have to ask. Is it XP SP2 or later? Pressed disc or burned?

One trick from another thread that might help is to eject the CD. Reboot the Mac with Alt/Option until you get to the bootloader, and then insert the install disc. It should appear as a choice and you should then be able to boot from it.

B

3. scrapisimo thread starter macrumors newbie

My Mini's optical device is not working , I'm using an external cd/dvd reader. My Windows CD is bootable because I tried to connect the external reader with my other mac and when I restart and hold the option key I can see the Windows CD and can boot from it. So the problem is not in the Windows CD neither is in the external reader.

Another weird thing I noticed is that the Bootcamp partition is missing in the Startup Disk Preferences in System Preferences. So the system just doesn't recognize the FAT32 (BootCamp) partition. On the other hand, i can see the bootcamp partition in Finder and on the Desktop.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Both seem "normal" For the Boot Camp partition to appear in Startup Disk and in the boot loader it needs to detect a hint of a bootable OS it. (e.g. if you connect a flash drive to the system it won't show up unless it is actually bootable.)

Your focus needs to be to be able to get the XP disc to boot. If it isn't showing up in the boot selector, the combination of your mini, the external and the disc are not bootable.

Can you boot from your OS X install CD with this combination? If so, you might be able to use a variation on the trick I mentioned. Load the OS X install DVD in the external drive, boot the system holding Slt to get to the boot selector. The OS X CD shoudl be one of the choices. Eject the OS X CD. Replace with the XP CD. Select the XP CD from the boot selector.

Your only other choice is to try and install from a USB drive. (e.g. http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/installing-windows-xp-from-usb-thumb.html).

B

5. scrapisimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I can boot the OS X Install CD. I did what you told me. Loaded the OS X Install DVD, booted the system by holding Alt and I got the choices - booting from the hard drive or from the Mac OS X Install DVD. I then ejected the Install DVD and replaced it with the Windows CD. But it doesn't show up in the boot menu. The windows cd IS bootable.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not according to the boot loader in this combination of hardware and software. Something about the mini is stopping it from booting the XP CD from that drive. ow old is this mini anyway? Could it's firmware predate the original Boot Camp release?

So now you either have to experiment with building a USB flash/HDD installer or you could try copying the Windows install disc onto other media and see if that makes the boot loader recognize it.

B

7. scrapisimo thread starter macrumors newbie

The Mini is from 2006. The Core 2 Duo model. I've installed Windows on it before, so it's not about the firmware or something else. I've read couple of articles about booting windows from usb flash/hdd but as far as I got it you have to remove the internal hard disk in order to do it. And that's something I can't do :)

I'll just try with another external reader to make sure the problem is or isn't in it.

Thanks for the help anyway :)

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The 2006 Macs are particularly finicky in how they boot from USB. EDIT: Wait something is wrong. The 2006 models were Core Solo/Core Duo. Core 2 Duo was introduced in 2007.

Removing the internal is only required for installing XP so that it will boot entirely from the external HDD, and is not required just to install from USB to the internal HDD. The link I provided should give you what you need to build a USB stick to install from. As long as the mini will see it as bootable.

If you have another Mac, you might be able to use target mode to help with the install. Start the install to the internal on another Mac. Once Windows wants to reboot for the first time, force it to boot back to OS X and use Winclone to clone the partially installed XP partition to the mini. Then boot the mini and wait for it to complete the install.

B