Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonidZero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
I am trying to install windows on my macbook pro 15" standard most recent one.

I have an install for Windows XP home edition service pack 2, the installation goes fine until it asks me to insert another windows disc to prove... something, I have a valid windows 98 disc for this.

The problem

I cant figure out how to eject the windows XP disc to switch to the 98 disc, the eject button doesnt work. The Windows XP disc spins for a little while longer and then stops.

Help?

SonidZero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Im in the windows installation, my only options are to press enter when the disc is in, or F3 to quit

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
oh, within the windows installation process, i'm not sure how to do that (even if you could), sorry. :confused:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I've never heard of a Windows installation that required another disc...are you using Boot Camp or Parallels or VMWare Fusion to get this on your Mac?

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
Are you using an upgrade disc? I think you may need a full version windows cd.

From a legal stand point you must have a full retail copy.

Upgrade is for upgrading from the os that came preinstalled on your computer to a new os.

So anyway, I have never looked a Mac's optical drive close enough to notice, but is there a hole you can put a straightened paper clip into near the optical drive? If there is a hole that is the manual eject button and that is your best hope of pulling this off.

Otherwise I recommend going and getting a copy of Vista 64bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.