Windows installation

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I'm trying to install windows 7 on my new Kingston 120gb ssd from a usb. I used a new MacBook pro's boot camp assistant to create the windows 7 usb drive from an ISO image. I'm installing windows 7 on a separate computer. I used the 'optimized defaults' on my bios settings on my Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H. I made the usb drive the first item in the boot order. I did try messing with some other settings too. When I try to boot it and install the OS, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor. I have the SATA in ACHI mode. Any ideas please?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Did you have the Boot Camp Assistant download and install the support software on that USB drive too? Also, see if there is a manual boot selection menu for that board. On older Dells, for instance, if you pointed to a USB device in the BIOS as the first boot device it would be ignored. However, if you hit F12 and selected the USB drive from the boot selection menu it would work just fine!

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
Did you have the Boot Camp Assistant download and install the support software on that USB drive too? Also, see if there is a manual boot selection menu for that board. On older Dells, for instance, if you pointed to a USB device in the BIOS as the first boot device it would be ignored. However, if you hit F12 and selected the USB drive from the boot selection menu it would work just fine!
I didn't install that since I can't get that far. It won't try installing the OS. I did try using F12 and selecting the usb rather than just assuming the BIOS will go to the usb. Still not loading. Any advanced BIOS users that can give BIOS tips? I'm not 100% sure I didn't mess up in there.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have noticed that USB drives created in Boot Camp Assistant work on some PCs but not others. I would try creating the drive using a different tool.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
Have any suggestions? All the things Google shows say to use boot camp. I suppose I could try to find a windows computer otherwise, but that is more difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.