Windows installation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Derkatwork, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I'm trying to install windows 7 on my new Kingston 120gb ssd from a usb. I used a new MacBook pro's boot camp assistant to create the windows 7 usb drive from an ISO image. I'm installing windows 7 on a separate computer. I used the 'optimized defaults' on my bios settings on my Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H. I made the usb drive the first item in the boot order. I did try messing with some other settings too. When I try to boot it and install the OS, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor. I have the SATA in ACHI mode. Any ideas please?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you have the Boot Camp Assistant download and install the support software on that USB drive too? Also, see if there is a manual boot selection menu for that board. On older Dells, for instance, if you pointed to a USB device in the BIOS as the first boot device it would be ignored. However, if you hit F12 and selected the USB drive from the boot selection menu it would work just fine!

3. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I didn't install that since I can't get that far. It won't try installing the OS. I did try using F12 and selecting the usb rather than just assuming the BIOS will go to the usb. Still not loading. Any advanced BIOS users that can give BIOS tips? I'm not 100% sure I didn't mess up in there.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have noticed that USB drives created in Boot Camp Assistant work on some PCs but not others. I would try creating the drive using a different tool.

5. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Have any suggestions? All the things Google shows say to use boot camp. I suppose I could try to find a windows computer otherwise, but that is more difficult.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@Derkatwork Try erasing the USB and creating it again in Boot Camp Assistant to rule out the possibility of a bug or drive corruption.

7. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I've tried at least a dozen times. I've used two different usb drives.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@Derkatwork I would look into using a different tool to create the drive. Like I said, some computers will have issues with drives created by Boot Camp Assistant.