windows installs, os x doesn't

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Narpstar, May 5, 2015.

1. Narpstar macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Anyone had trouble with this? I pop a snow leopard disc in, or a Yosemite USB drive, and I get one problem or another (apple logo changes to circle with a line through it, just gets stuck on apple logo screen, etc).

But I have no problem installing any version of windows.

I get an option for internet recovery too, but it just gets stuck.

Back story - I just bought this second hand. Its a 2011 iMac 21.5". When I got to the house of the ppl I bought it from, they had attempted to reformat and were on the disk utility screen. I can't even get there now.

Thanks in advance guys!
    Ben

2. Pieterr macrumors regular

3. Narpstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Pieterr,

I had the same idea but because I couldn't access disk utility, I used the windows install process to reformat the HDD. Do you think that should work? Or did I just royally screw up my machine?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Reformatting from Windows won't work because it can't format in Mac OS Extended (journaled).

You really have to get into Disk Utility from your USB. It's accessible from one of the menu items in the top bar.

5. Narpstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but as I said before, I can't access the disk utility. When I arrive at the screen to choose the boot option (DVD/USB etc), there IS no bar at the top of the screen. So I can choose the boot option but nothing else.

6. yjchua95, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

yjchua95 macrumors 604

*facepalm*

You need to select USB and boot into it first (stating the obvious here). Then only you'll be presented with the options.

Refer to the images I attached. First, I selected my boot device (in this case, my OS X installer in a USB stick). Once booted into it, I selected Utilities → Disk Utility.

Attached Files:

7. Narpstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, i see. You can't get to disk utility without a boot disk. I thought that was pre boot disk! OK then. In that case my problem is that I can't use any is x related boot disks! They all fail in one way or another. Guess I need to track down a boot disk I know is working first.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's easy to make one.

Download Yosemite from the App Store on a working Mac, and stick an 8GB USB stick into the Mac. Then, use DiskMaker X (free app) to create the bootable stick.

9. Narpstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks! I'll do that, and report back with my results.

Cheers for the help guys!

10. Narpstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that was it! All of my previous bit disks were duds. Created a new one as per your directions, and Yosemite installed just fine.

Now I'm having issues with the computer freezing frequently... but that's something else entirely.