iOS Windows iOS Development

RLesko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hello,

Have a bit of a unique problem here. Me and two friends have decided to develop an app for iOS as a senior project. Two of us have macs (myself included) and our university has some macs available for use as well. The only problem is over winter break the third member of our group would like to be able to develop and has no access at all to an apple computer. Is there any solution that would allow him to even just compile objective-C code on Windows?

Thanks.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Check out http://www.macincloud.com/ - they provide Macs in the cloud. Access from Windows is possible. I have not tried myself and it doesn't seem to be free but that's the only solution apart from having a Mac.

RLesko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
VirtualBox can do it but it is against the EULA of OS X
Interesting. I don't mind if its not Apple approved since I am on a legitimate apple laptop and the solution is merely a stopgap between now and January.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Couldn't he just log in to the university computers and continue to work? I have not tried this with Xcode however, but with SSH to Linux and Solaris boxes. The principle should be the same, given that the university allows remote logins.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Is there any solution that would allow him to even just compile objective-C code on Windows?
I believe he should be able to find a gcc compiler for Windows. The problem is if he is compiling against any of the Cocoa Touch frameworks, then it won't work, since those frameworks are not available for Windows.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
It's almost definitely going to be actually *CHEAPER*, in terms of time you'll save * your hourly rate to buy a Mac Mini and use that for development. Please do the math.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Me and two friends have decided to develop an app for iOS as a senior project. Two of us have macs (myself included) and our university has some macs available for use as well.
It's almost definitely going to be actually *CHEAPER*, in terms of time you'll save * your hourly rate to buy a Mac Mini and use that for development.
Doubt there's any "hourly rate" involved. :)

RLesko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies, and to the mods, my bad on putting it in the wrong category.

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Perhaps the person without a Mac could VPN into their account on one of the university Macs and run a VNC client to view that Mac on their PC. There are also RDP/VNC solutions from Wyse and LogMeIn that might be able to get to a Mac behind a firewall if you preconfigure the Mac appropriately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.