Windows iOS Development

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by RLesko, Nov 28, 2011.

1. RLesko macrumors member

Hello,

Have a bit of a unique problem here. Me and two friends have decided to develop an app for iOS as a senior project. Two of us have macs (myself included) and our university has some macs available for use as well. The only problem is over winter break the third member of our group would like to be able to develop and has no access at all to an apple computer. Is there any solution that would allow him to even just compile objective-C code on Windows?

Thanks.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Check out http://www.macincloud.com/ - they provide Macs in the cloud. Access from Windows is possible. I have not tried myself and it doesn't seem to be free but that's the only solution apart from having a Mac.

3. RLesko thread starter macrumors member

I'll look into it thanks for your reply. Any other recommendations out there?

4. gnuguy macrumors newbie

VirtualBox can do it but it is against the EULA of OS X

5. RLesko thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. I don't mind if its not Apple approved since I am on a legitimate apple laptop and the solution is merely a stopgap between now and January.

6. subsonix macrumors 68040

Couldn't he just log in to the university computers and continue to work? I have not tried this with Xcode however, but with SSH to Linux and Solaris boxes. The principle should be the same, given that the university allows remote logins.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I believe he should be able to find a gcc compiler for Windows. The problem is if he is compiling against any of the Cocoa Touch frameworks, then it won't work, since those frameworks are not available for Windows.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

9. Starfox macrumors 6502

Starfox

It's almost definitely going to be actually *CHEAPER*, in terms of time you'll save * your hourly rate to buy a Mac Mini and use that for development. Please do the math.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Doubt there's any "hourly rate" involved. :)

11. mr.iso macrumors member

He's talking about the MacinCloud website.

12. RLesko thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, and to the mods, my bad on putting it in the wrong category.

13. firewood macrumors 604

Perhaps the person without a Mac could VPN into their account on one of the university Macs and run a VNC client to view that Mac on their PC. There are also RDP/VNC solutions from Wyse and LogMeIn that might be able to get to a Mac behind a firewall if you preconfigure the Mac appropriately.