Windows issue on Mac and restore question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Aug 16, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

So I run bootcamp, and switch over to Windows to watch some streaming videos. The issue am having is that when the windows media player opens the link, I get perfect sound, but the stream is mostly blue. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

The second thing is...can I back up all the apps I have installed on my Mac before I do a restore, or do I have to reinstall everything? Thanks for the help!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The problem is probably that Windows Media Player doesn't support the video codec. Does it work with other video streams? Is it up-to-date?

That varies from app to app. Most Mac apps are installed by dragging the file into /Applications, and those can be backed up by copying them wherever you like. Applications with their own installers probably can't.

However, if you elect to run an archive & install with the "preserve users and network settings" option selected, all of your data will be carried over unaffected —*including your applications.

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I never tried it with other streams. I just tried it with myp2p, to watch MLB games here in Europe.

The reason I want to do the restore is because Im getting some reaccuring freezes once in a while, requiring me to restart my iMac. I figured that if I time machine my iMac, I will get the problems still, so I was thinking about a restore to give it a fresh start. I just didnt know the procedure about keeping my apps.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you're going to reinstall, try archive & install before you do anything more drastic. It's a lot easier, and if you still have problems, you can still wipe the slate clean.

5. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know what guys...I have photoshop and some other programs installed on my iMac, but I dont really use them all that much. I have one of the early 06 iMacs (max 2gb ram one), and I have been having many problems lately. Like I said it earlier, the computer will freeze on an average of once a day, and I get some horizontal lines on the screen, and some picture distortion as well. I am hoping that a full restore will fix the problem. I have a late 08 13" UMB, so I can use that for photoshop and whatnot, and I can just use my iMac for pics/music/surfing and stuff like that. I just need to make sure that I can save my files, favorites, and most of the apps I want, so that is where I was looking for help.

So regarding iphoto and itunes, I can just go into the preferences and change it to my external drive, then back them up there right? And if I back it up that way, and restore both apps when I restore my imac, will all my "top rated" songs still be there, or do I have to do that all over again? And will I have any issues with syncing my iphone?

One other question...should I wait till Snow Leopard comes out, go through that update, and see if any positives come out from it, or do the archive & install now, and deal with the Snow Leopard upgrade later?

Thanks for the reply so far guys!

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I hate to say this, but that sounds like a hardware problem to me.

Regardless, try an archive & install first before you do something more extreme.

7. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured that is the problem. I dont think the a&i will fix the video issue, but I am hoping that it will take care of the freezing.

8. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Probably a hardware problem. iMacs have MAD hardware problems because of heat issues.