windows itunes library file to macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by deanops, Jun 25, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

hi all, recently purchased a macbook, and i have copied all my music over from my windows pc to my mac...

with this however, my metadata (such as playlists, rating... etc..) are gone, and i need my playlists...

my question here is, if i copy my .itl fie from mty pc and paste it over the one on the mac, will it recognise it? and, hence, will i have my metadata back...

Please, i have tried the scripts that make playists out of each album, but it wont work, please help

thanks in advance

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Try copying the ITL file over to your mac as you suggested in your post. When I bought my macbook that is all I needed to do (although I had to delete the ".itl" extension from the file name). When I opened iTunes my library was all there, including playcounts, playlists, etc.

5. kingpause macrumors newbie

The MacGuide method did not copy over my last played or play count info, and just trying to open the .itl file in itunes did not do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, Mac noob here.

6. kingpause macrumors newbie

I should say that when I import the .xml file I get an "unknown error (-50)". It was able to import about 50 songs, and will play them and everything.

Also noticing that my playlists did not get copied over, either.

7. kingpause macrumors newbie

Got it (I think). Just copied over the .itl file again - first time didn't "take", apparently. Lost the path to a bunch of songs, which is no big deal because the songs themselves are still there, and all I have to do is point to them. Thanks for the info! Looking forward to learning more. :)