windows keyboard and mouse on imac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sabrina2000, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Sabrina2000 macrumors member

I've just got my imac bootcamped, and wondering if I should be so bold as to atttempt to use a windows keyboard and mouse....Iwill be using the windows side most of the tme for work purposes with occasional mac use - any pros and cons? Is it likely to be trouble free and is it really as simple as plug and play? The mouse is microsoft comfort mouse 4500 and the keyboard is microsoft natural ergonomic keyboard 4000 - comes with a cd which includes intellitype pro 7.1 for mac...... a little nervous about attempting this but would like to be able to use windows keyboard and mouse, partly because of weak joints and possible nerve damage in wrists, and also because so used to windows having used it for yonks and still in the teething stages with mac. I'm running windows xp by the way.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yes, no problem.

3. Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

wow ! will attempt that at some point soon then and report back.

4. Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

piece of cake ! it worked - no problem at all, thanks ! was as simple as plug in and "new hardware found and ready to use" .......

5. Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

works fine and all ...but today couldn't type the @ sign....any idea why? or howto get @ on the windows keyboard connected on mac?

thanks!

6. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

@ is shift+2 on a mac, whatever the keyboard.

7. Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

thanks - it works ! But i'm using a windows keyboard and that's why I was baffled - thinking the @ would type when I pressed the @ button ! But instead I'm getting @ on windows keyboard ( in bootcamp) when I press shift + 2.