Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi guys, I need advice on a Windows laptop, and am unaware of another computer forum with a community as decent as this one that will actually give me an honest answer and not a "fanboy" answer.

I recently installed Windows XP on my MacBook Pro, and I have used it about 90% of the time ever since. I have decided that I mine as well just sell my MacBook Pro to my brother for 1000 dollars, and buy a decent Windows laptop and just use that instead.

My only criteria for the laptop is that it must have atleast the same specs, or more: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ, 2 GBs RAM, 250 GB 5400 RPM HD, and a 8600M GT. I like either the 13" screen or 15" screen, either is fine with me.

I love the looks of the dell laptops, and am not very fond of Gateways, Compaqs, or HPs, but give me some suggestions.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
I read you said you are not fond of the HPs but I am pretty sure you mean the consumer laptops from HP. I use HP business series laptops and they are very reliable, usable and have great performance.

The only catch is that they are expensive. But HP has great deals on these time to time - if you are ok with refurbs (I have got it refurb and it was like new - no problems) look here - the list is updated daily.

That said why are you selling the MacBook Pro - do you find it problematic using Windows - trackpad, heat perhaps?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
All the different graphics card models, are very confusing, can anyone show me a model of a PC laptop equivalent to my MacBook Pro?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
How does the ATI Radeon 3670 compare to the 8600M GT?

EDIT: Okay, I customized a Dell XPS 13 with a Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHZ, nVidia 9500M, 250 GB HD, 3 GBs of RAM, Bluetooth, etc. all for about 1,100 dollars.

How does the nVidia 9500M compare to the 8600M GT? Some reviews say it's better and more efficient, others say it's just more efficient but not better.

Azmordean

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Silicon Valley
I don't have a specific recommendation for you, but I can say it seems to me the quality of DELL laptops has improved considerably. I was given a new DELL Latitude at work, and it is very nice. Quick, good build quality, a 14" screen with the same resolution as my 15" MBP, a nice keyboard, and a very aesthetically pleasing black brushed metal case.

Unfortunately the video card is some kind of Nvidia Quadro, which while fine for office tasks, won't be much for gaming or anything else. The XPS line would probably be your best bet if you want an 8600M, but I can't attest to the build quality of the consumer line.

I can say that the Latitude may well compete for my money when it comes time for my next computer, but that's a long way off!

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Is there a reason you can't just keep the MacBook Pro? I mean, you've been running XP on it, like you said. There doesn't seem to be a reason to ditch it and unnecessarily spend money on a new laptop. Are the specs on the MacBook Pro not quite what you want?

EDIT: Just saw your sig., which has the specs of your current MacBook Pro. They are the same as what you're looking for in a new windows-only laptop.

However, if you're looking to get rid of the MacBook for 1k, spend ~600 on a laptop, and pocket the rest, I understand what you're doing.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Actually, I want my mom to use the MacBook Pro since she is an attorney and she still uses a TiBook G4, I think she needs a new computer, and if I gain nothing from using a MacBook Pro over another PC laptop, I would go with the PC laptop.

My dad told me he would buy me any PC laptop of equivalent value to the MacBook Pro. I can't decide on either the XPS 13 or the XPS 16, here are the specs and price:

Dell XPS 13 $1,139:

SYSTEM COLOR Obsidian Black High Gloss Finish edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P7350 (3MB cache/2.0GHz/1066Mhz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
HD DISPLAY Edge-to-Edge 13.3" HD WXGA LCD with 2.0 Megapixel Camera edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms) edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) edit
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500M - 256MB edit
SOUND OPTIONS Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled edit
My Accessories
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee 24 month edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
My Software & Accessories
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n Half Mini-Card
BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Integrated NETWORK ADAPTERS (NICS) Integrated Gigabit (10/100/1000) Network Card
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, Multiple Languages
LCD and Camera Edge-to-Edge 13.3" HD WXGA LCD in Obsidian Black w/ 2 MP Webcam
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
Processor Branding Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor
REMOTE ACCESS Dell Remote Access, free basic service

Dell XPS 16, $1,274:

SYSTEM COLOR Obsidian Black High Gloss Finish edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (3MB cache/2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis edit
HD DISPLAY Edge-to-Edge FHD Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1920x1080) W/2.0 MP edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms) edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD+/- RW(DVD/CD read/write) Slot Load Drive edit
VIDEO CARD ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB edit
WIRELESS CARDS Intel® 5100 WLAN Wireless-N (1x2) Half Mini Card edit
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0 edit
BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module (2.1+EDR) edit
My Accessories
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee 15 month edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
My Software & Accessories
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
BATTERY OPTIONS 6-cell Battery
Integrated NETWORK ADAPTERS (NICS) Integrated Gigabit (10/100/1000) Network Card
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, Multiple Languages
LCD and Camera 15.6 FHD WLED Display in Obsidian Black with 2.0 MP Webcam
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
Processor Branding Intel® Centrino™ 2

I want the XPS 16 because it is a LOT more powerful, and has a great screen so I won't need an external one. But on the other hand, the XPS 13 is a LOT more portable, better battery life. The 8600M GT meets my needs perfectly, and the 9500M in the XPS 13 I bet would be strong enough, but I never know when I will need a stronger graphics card for, say Call of Duty. Help me decide!

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Okay, last question guys!

Dell is having a deal where you can get free upgrades on ram or hard drives... does this mean they are going to upgrade the models soon? When does Dell usually upgrade their models? Thanks!

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Okay, last question guys!

Dell is having a deal where you can get free upgrades on ram or hard drives... does this mean they are going to upgrade the models soon? When does Dell usually upgrade their models? Thanks!

Maybe they just want you to get free RAM? The Studio XPS model you are looking at right now replaced an older Studio XPS model so you are getting a fairly new computer model from Dell.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
The last time they were upgraded was January... Does Dell ever just upgrade the specs or do they just do a total rehaul of the model every 2 years?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
What is the difference between the Wireless-N (3x3) card and the Wireless-N (1x2) card? The 3x3 is 80 dollars more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.