Windows leaves 3 gigs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xPurpleblob, Jan 1, 2013.

1. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

Windows and a game leaves 3 gigs...
    Hello guys, so all I installed on my bootcamp partition was a call of duty game that takes up about 10 gb? and it only leaves 3 gigs to play with? The whole partition is about 70 gb. I've read about disabling the paging file but I'm really not sure how to do it and also that would still only leave about 15 gigs?...
    So any soultions to free up more space?

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Have you done any disk clean ups and disk defrags? Free up some space.

3. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

disabling hibernation and system restore will also free up a few gigs.

4. noiseordinance macrumors regular

Also reduce your page file. And don't defrag an SSD.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

To disable page filing in Windows open Control Panel then System, then Advanced System Settings. In this Windows select the settings button in the performance section then Advanced and click change under Virtual Memory. Change from System Managed to No Page Filing.

As noiseordinance states do not defrag a SSD as it can damage it.

6. SupadudeX macrumors member

I had the same problem. Made a 70 Gig bootcamp partition and then noticed I had no space. Biggest issue for me was the hibernate file and the pagefile. With 16 gigs of ram they were taking up a total of 32Gigs. I disabled hibernate and reduced my page file to 2GB and got most a lot of the space back, but I still find that 70Gigs is pretty limiting. I can install a max of 2 large games before most of that space is eaten up.

Windows 7 is a space hog.

7. leman macrumors 604

If you have 16GB RAM, the paging file + hibernation storage will eat lots of disk space. I have completely disabled those on Windows. With 16GB RAM you are pretty much guarantied never to have a page out as long your computer usage is restricted to gaming.