Windows-like browsing of zip archives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danb77, Nov 13, 2007.

1. danb77 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I am a recent switcher, and the only aspect of Windows I miss is the following:

In Windows XP, a zipped archive is treated just like a normal folder. I can browse it, drag files in and out of it very easily and clearly.

In OSX it seems that StuffIt, UnArchiver etc. can only unzip an archive completely. They don't allow you to browse within the file to select, for example, just a single file to extract.

Is there any (preferably free!) Mac software which accomplishes this?

Cheers,

Dan

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think so, what's wrong with the full uncompression method?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How about this? Haven't used it myself, so I can't recommend it, but it looks like a decent option.

Here is another one. Free for archives under 500 files or 50 MB...otherwise it's $18.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This is exactly what you are looking for, it works well too.

5. danb77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fantastic! And so quick! Thank you all for such speedy responses!

6. Anorion macrumors member

Windows doesn't really let you just browse a .zip file. The contents get unpacked to C:\Windows\Temp\<something>, you browse it, then it gets deleted after a few minutes when you close the window.

7. danb77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to be a pedant after you guys have been so helpful, but I don't think Anorion can be correct - the browser window in Windows (and in Springy!:) ) opens fairly instantly, even for hundred megabyte zip files which take a while to actually extract.

Springy is just what I was looking for. I'm surprised it isn't more widely mentioned. Unarchiver seems to be everyone's favorite...