Windows-like task manager?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xavierpunkreno, Oct 11, 2010.

1. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Is there a task manager or something of the like that shows me all the processes running on my phone and not just the actual apps? My phone has been progressively losing more and more RAM and I want to see what's actually using it up, especially when no apps are running. Any suggestions?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I follow the philosophy of: Free ram is wasted ram. The iPhone does a very good job of ram management.

3. tesilential macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sbsettings "processes" toggle will show memory using apps, then close them 1 by 1 to take note of how much memory each one uses. Systemmanager app shows more detail, but it can't do any task management itself.

4. xavierpunkreno thread starter macrumors 6502

Couldn't find systemmanager but I found systeminformation. It shows me what processes are running but unfortunately won't show how much RAM each process was taking up.

5. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If you're on 4.1, you may want to look at the "I know why 4.1 slowed down our iPhones" thread, there's a big discussion about some sort of memory leak related to having both pictures and camera open at the same time, or something to that extent.

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Install "top" from within Cydia Installer. Then, log into the iPhone via an SSH shell and use this command:

top -o rsize

To find "top", you will need to be setup as a "Developer" in Cydia. To do this, go to:

Cydia --> Manage --> Settings --> Developer (No Filters)

S-

7. xavierpunkreno thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't use SSH. I use iPhone browser. I was hoping for something a little more everyday-user-savy. I'm guessing there's nothing at the moment?

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

If you want to do stuff like this you need to get comfortable in the Unix shell on your iPhone.

S-