Windows like tiling on a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmF, Jan 21, 2009.

1. cmF macrumors member

cmF

Hey so I have a quick question. I used to have a PC which was great in one respect because Windows had this thing were you could simply tile windows horizontally like so. This really helped me whenever I wanted to watch a movie on one side of the screen, and dreamweaver on the other, or youtube and itunes on one, firefox on the other etc.

This was the menu:
    http://tinyurl.com/8ofssh
    And presto!
    http://tinyurl.com/7xoxxp

Is there anything that will help me do this on the Mac OS or a program that I could use for that? Thank you!!!

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well you cannot tile windows horizontally or vertically in Mac OS X...yet. You have to do them manually if you want to.

But, have you tried Spaces? It can be activated through System Preferences.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Spaces would not achieve what the OP wants. He wants to have two windows side-by-side in the screen so he can watch a movie and work at the same time. Spaces will put each window in its own screen.

4. cmF thread starter macrumors member

cmF

Yes, precisely brand thank you. So is there anything out there that can kind of help me out? Thanks!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That functionality doesn't exist for Mac OS X.

6. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Expose does this temporarily, but will go back once you grab the window you want.

Maybe you can befriend the zoom (little green) button? It "optimizes" the window size. Then just drag it wherever you want.