Windows 'list' view on OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zelnaga, May 29, 2011.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Hi guys Ive recently got a iMac this week and liking to so far. One little niggle I have when moving over to windows is that I have an external HDD that has alot of files in it, and Ill need to be able to view as much files on screen at once. But the list only seems to be appearing on one column leaving alot of screen real estate. Is there anyway for it to appear like a windows 'list'?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Not that I have ever seen. I never liked the way Windows Explorer did that, so I've never looked, however.

3. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! Your right, it might not pack as much info as the windows list but this is a good alternative. Thanks again.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Is small things like this that I wish OS X had. You have detailed list view but sometimes I like using that list view in Windows.

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

A work around is to use the standard tile/icon view, but make the icons really small(using the slider at the bottom of the findeer wndow) then just go to view options and change the spacing between icons.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try pathfinder. I use that as a Finder replacement. I think winders file explorer is a better tool then the Finder as it lacks some basic functionality, I.e., cutting/pasting files, list view etc

7. recif2000 macrumors newbie

Any progess on this issue? It s just ridiculous especially for people who have a 27 inch. I installed XtraFinder but that didnt help.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

9. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

I think you both missed the part where VPrime answered the question back in 2011...

Attached Files:

10. recif2000 macrumors newbie

Thanks for that I somehow missed it...

While it is indeed a great solution it remains problematic for file with long filenames

Attached Files:

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, the post I responded to came after that, and the poster was wondering if there is anything new on that front. There isn't. It would take an OS feature change that has not occurred.