Windows Live/MSN Messenger App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mojo29, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mojo29 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I've got a new iPhone 4 and downloaded the official Windows Live Messenger App from the App Store. It works fine when I'm on Wi-fi however when I'm on 3g it won't connect and keeps asking me to connect to Wi-fi.

Does this App not work on Wi-fi? Can anyone advise on a good App for Windows Live/MSN Messenger if not?

Rgds

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Get Meebo for the iPhone. Integrates all the popular IMs into one app.

3. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I use BeeJiveIM, but it isn't free sadly. Great App though.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It works on 3G ok here. What is the exact message that you get?

6. Mojo29 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Dave,

If the App is open when I'm on Wifi, when I change to 3g it stays in the state it was in before I was on 3g, showing the friends that were online then and acts as if they are still online and that I can talk to them; yet my friends say I am offline.

If the App is closed and I open it up straight into a 3g connection it shows everyone offline.

I wonder if it might be my network blocking something or my phone; e-Buddy and IM+ Lite doesn't send me any notifications; Meebo says I'm online on the phone but not on the computer, and I can't send/recieve messages.

7. w3iiipu macrumors member

the msn app doesnt support multitasking right? coz everytime i exit to play a song/browse safari it signs me out.

8. Mojo29 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been lead to believe this, but when I used it last night it didn't sign me out and sent me a notification every time someone sent me a new message. This morning it would sign me out after about 3 Mins of inactivation and wouldn't send me any notifications.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

IM isn't allowed to run in the background with iOS.

The only thing that IM Apps can do is push notifications (WLM does this).

You aren't signed out when you close the app - it sets you to away and starts pushing notifications of new messages to your device.

10. kaelell macrumors 6502

Just to add to that note, WM did this before the new Ios, it sends push notifications when someone replies to you or sends you a message, I also seemed to appear online even though I had closed down the app. and as there were no settings for push notifications you could configure this kinda sucked cause I would have to manually sign out from within the application to stop getting messages. ( hopefully thats changed since then)

11. mattkowalski macrumors member

I definitely second the BeeJive plug...

Not free, but one of my favourite apps.