Windows, Mac Mini and internal plus external ODD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MJL, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MJL macrumors 6502a

I have been informed by Apple that the mid 2010 Mac Mini with an internal ODD (ie not the server) will not work with an external ODD (in other words: you cannot have 2 optical drives or, alternatively, if the internal ODD dies you'll have to replace the internal one).

Does anyone know if this limitation exists under Windows 7 as well or is it possible to have two ODD working under Windows 7 (running natively - Boot Camp) on the mid 2010 Mac Mini?

Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What is true is that an external ODD doesn't work exactly like the internal, especially at boot time. (e.g. for things like booting Windows to install it). Some work, others don't.

However I have connected several ODDs to my MBP using a USB -> (S/P)ATA adapter and used them with no issues whatsoever while booted to both OS X and Windows so I really don't know what the issue is?!?

B

3. MJL, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

MJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot - basically I want to rip my music collection (1200+ CD's) and I do not fancy wearing the internal ODD out doing that. The internal one should be dedicated for backup/restore/install purposes.

On another note, I just put in my Intel X25M-80Gb SSD and it works fine. Machine is extreemy quiet, the airflow from fan is barely noticeable and the fan makes no noise when running at low rpm. A pleasure not being bombarded with noise.

Very, very pleased with this setup. Had some issues using the Windows Backup, kept on coming up with the backup location being full and then once when I had some other stuff written to the HDD it suddenly started working again. Will be happy when the Newertech Raid arrives and the windows backup software (included) does its job. Oh, on another note - winclone did not want to know about the Intel SSD, did not see it at all.

edit: had to do a total reinstall since I could not do a restore. Used the Boot Camp 4.0 drivers and will see how they work over the next few days. Sofar no problems with the mouse like I had when I u[graded from BootCamp 3.2 to 4.0, lkets hope it stays that way. Machine measures a bit more CPU activity than before but I don't know if it is due to the SSD or the Boot Camp 4.0 drivers.