Windows/Mac Printing.. I'm Clueless

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aperture, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Okay. I've had an HP PSC 1510 laying next to my Macbook for a while. On my network, we have 1 Macbook, 1 Macbook Pro, 1 Dell notebook, and one Dell desktop that is hardwired to the router. The 3 notebooks are all wireless. Anyhow, when either of the 3 other computers want to print, I have to plug in my cable and so on so they can print via Bonjour.

Ok.

I'm tired of this and since my Dell desktop never moves and is practically always on, I want to wire the HP to the Dell Desktop to the 3 notebooks can wirelessly print at any time, from anywhere in the house. I tried all the tutorials to share a printer on Windows with a Mac to no avail and am now clueless.

I tried simply sharing the printer on Windows and tried joining all my computers into one workgroup but my Macbook won't recognize it, the HP, on the network.

Basically, I want to share an HP PSC 1510, connected to a Dell desktop, wirelessly with 3 notebooks. (2 Macs, 1 PC) Mind you the Dell desktop is going to be hardwired to our router and is connected via USB to the printer.

Please, ANY help is appreciated!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This question gets asked and answered a lot! The reason that your Mac does not recognize your printer is that the HP supplied a USB driver which does not work over a network connection. For that you need a CUPS driver. Please search this forum for CUPS, Gutenprint, and LinuxPrinting. CUPS documentation is a part of the Gutenprint download.

3. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture