Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNET reports on the discovery of Windows malware embedded within an iPhone application available through the App Store. But rather than a directed attack at Windows users, the malware appears to have been accidentally included from an infected developer's system. The malware is also relatively old and easily detected by most antivirus software for Windows once the App Store package has been unwrapped.

The malware was first discovered by a user posting in the Apple support forums who noted that a download of Instaquotes-Quotes Cards For Instagram from developer Ilyas Hassani triggered warnings from the ClamXav antivirus software for Mac. While the Windows malware obviously could not harm the user's OS X installation, it was flagged as an infected file posing a danger to Windows systems. After learning about the discovery, CNET performed additional testing on the download to confirm that it was not a false positive.
Since the downloaded .ipa file is a package, these executables could be extracted using the package manager Pacifist, and then more accurately scanned. Afterward, other malware programs like Sophos that initially missed detecting the malware instantly picked it up and described it as "Mal/CoiDung-A," a worm written in visual basic that installs files within the Windows system directory and then modifies the Windows registry to execute the malware when the system is restarted.

Copying the malware to a Windows virtual machine running the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials resulted in the malware being immediately detected and removed from the system.
instaquotes_iantivirus_scan.jpg

It is unclear exactly how or why the malware came to be included in the App Store package, but it seems almost certain to have been an accidental inclusion. As delivered inside the application package, it appears to pose no harm to Windows users, who would have to decompress the package and manually run the infected file in order to expose themselves to the malware.

The infected application debuted in the App Store on July 19 and is currently still available for download after a temporary price drop from $0.99 to free over the weekend.

Article Link: Windows Malware Stows a Ride in iOS App Store App

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Get a Mac!!!

I keep reading that Windows doesn't collect virus anymore yet continually I see the
ramifications of believing this.

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This is pathetic. :D

Anyway will this affect Windows machines with no antivirus software installed?

doesn't seem like it, unless you specifically open the ipa package and run the file. which you would have no reason to do.

arn

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Even if it sounds like there is no way the malware would do harm unless you went out of your way poking into things, it still concerns me that something like this could be distributed in an app on the App Store. Doesn't Apple scan submissions for malware? I know they can't manually review every single update to every single app, but I would think they'd have the means to have their servers do a quick scan of what's in the app before it goes live. If they don't do this, maybe they should consider doing so now.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It is very suspicious how it bundled itself in an .ipa file.
Windows viruses usually attach to Windows files known to be executables or have vulnerabilities that allow it to execute.
An .ipa file is totally foreign to Windows, and the locations where the virus installed itself are too much to be a mere coincidence.
Weird... just weird...

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Get a Mac!!!

I keep reading that Windows doesn't collect virus anymore yet continually I see the
ramifications of believing this.

1. Mac runs Windows (and some people just have to use it for various reasons)
2. Windows detects it when unpacked (and if not unpacked, it's not a threat)
3. It doesn't do anything just being in that App

So, to your second sentence: In this case it stands true, Windows doesn't collect this virus. It gets removed automatically. ;)

PS: The only program which reminds me of running like there is a virus involved is iTunes! I see 6 cores on 20% doing something and iTunes is frozen for 3 minutes or so. All in a sudden, it runs again normally. Maybe they need to work on the database handling? I have only about 400-500 Apps and 4GB of music - it should be able to handle that. Especially because it could load all of that into the RAM but RAM is not really used for anything by iTunes.

Last edited:

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I have to admit I'm more curious than concerned. I thought app development had to be done in X-Code, which only runs on a Mac. If so, the coding and work had to be done on a Mac. That being the case, how would Windows malware, even acidentally, end up in the app itself?

Obviously, I'm not a developer, so I'm sure I'm missing something, just curious as to what...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Although it's free at the moment, nothing like paying for a virus in a sense! What a strange thing to have occurred. I wonder if Apple will pull the app until it's fixed or just let it ride and let the developer take care of it.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I have to admit I'm more curious than concerned. I thought app development had to be done in X-Code, which only runs on a Mac. If so, the coding and work had to be done on a Mac. That being the case, how would Windows malware, even acidentally, end up in the app itself?

Obviously, I'm not a developer, so I'm sure I'm missing something, just curious as to what...

MAYBE the malware spread from Windows into that file (because afaik .app is a folder technically).
Either the project was on a drive that offers native write access from both Windows and OS X (e.g. FAT32) or Windows has been equipped with 3rd party drivers for HFS/HFS+

Just my guess

Glassed Silver:mac

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
Sounds like Apple should run a virus check on App Store packages before approving them!

But .ipa files are not packages, as the article indicates, they're just renamed ZIP files. Pacifist should not be necessary to open them; just rename the file to something.zip and double click it.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Get a Mac!!!

I keep reading that Windows doesn't collect virus anymore yet continually I see the ramifications of believing this.
[...]

This bug is OLD and EASILY detected unless you're an IDIOT who doesn't run ANY anti-malware/virus protection.
[... Y]ou'll note that THIS OLD BUG was spread by some moron a mac who wasn't running antivirus.
How do I know this? Simple, because YOU CAN'T DEVELOP iOS APPS on WINDOWS.

This case is basically like an anti-vaccination [...] not getting vaccinated because of herd-immunity, and becoming a carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
unless you're an IDIOT who doesn't run ANY anti-malware/virus protection.

Plenty of idiots. You know the kind. Self-declared 'experts' who claim you don't need that kind of ****** if you don't visit pron-sites, don't download illegal software and anti virussoftware makes your system slow as maple syrup on a Alaskan night.

The PSI data showed that while fewer than 1.9 percent of the users had a completely clean PC, 30.3 pecent of the machines contained between one and five unpatched programs, 25.1 percent had between six and 10 at-risk applications, and 45.8 percent of the systems boasted 11 or more insecure programs.

according to Secunia.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Although it's free at the moment, nothing like paying for a virus in a sense! What a strange thing to have occurred. I wonder if Apple will pull the app until it's fixed or just let it ride and let the developer take care of it.

There's no way Apple WON'T pull it, if they didn't it'd be a PR nightmare.

----------

Sounds like Apple should run a virus check on App Store packages before approving them!

But .ipa files are not packages, as the article indicates, they're just renamed ZIP files. Pacifist should not be necessary to open them; just rename the file to something.zip and double click it.

Maybe Apple should change the format so they're harder to tamper with, then still do a Virus scan on them? I mean, Apple's already GOT the perfect format for the ipa 2.0 file format. I just can't remember the damn name.

haincha

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I am just curious how that happens? The only thing I can think of is that he has BootCamp or something with software to open up mac folder system on Windows. Because, even if the exe filed came on the mac side, it wouldn't be able to replicate itself or put itself into any random folders.

Then, why choose that particular folder? It isn't showing up in every folder path. Even if he says it wasn't deliberate, is it possible to get there, and only there, without it being on purpose?

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Plenty of idiots. You know the kind. Self-declared 'experts' who claim you don't need that kind of ****** if you don't visit pron-sites, don't download illegal software and anti virussoftware makes your system slow as maple syrup on a Alaskan night.

according to Secunia.

Okay, so what is their definition of an "unsecure" program? That would really help. There are a lot of developers who don't care about Mircosoft wanting them to register with them. That doesn't make it unsafe. Heck, I play games from Wargaming.net and they are rated "unsecure" but they do in no way endanger my system. So, yea, I claim to know something about PC and security, but that statistic you quote is saying nothing without showing what their definition is. If it is Microsoft's definition, you just fell into the marketing trap. Microsoft is just jealous of Apple with their closed system, so they started their trust center half-breed. Now, security companies' interest is to show how "unsafe" certain systems are - it helps the potential sales. Trusting their numbers is not what I would do. :cool:

Edit: I also read through their report and they talk a lot about highly customized vulnerable software a lot. These programs can either not run on Macs per se (and Apple abandoned that market anyways) or are also running on Unix systems. The vulerability is not Windows at all.

sparklellama

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Just a note to those wondering how it happened. Seems likely to me the developer was working on a windows pc using an osx virtual machine. The ipa file is a whole bunch of resources bundled up (images, binaries, content files). One of these must have been made on the windows machine, infected, manually coped to the vm, and included in the ipa. As noted, this is not much of a problem, as the developer's windows box must have been old and unprotected, and even if you got the app onto your windows pc you'd need to work hard to activate the virus (be behind in your patches, extract the ipa, double click on the infected file for some reason).

madcran

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Maybe it's just a typo on the part of the person who made the screenshot, but anyone else notice the directory location says "Instaqoutes 1.0.ipa" and "Payload/Instaqoutes.app/...." ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.