Windows Media App for Iphone. Will there ever be one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by turbo63, Aug 19, 2008.

1. turbo63 macrumors newbie

Ok, I am probably in a small percentage, but I need to be able to view windows media files on my phone. It is actually the thing I miss most about my WM phone.

I work in advertising and get WMV files to approve all the time and it is nice to do from my phone.

Any chance someone will create an app that will allow me to do this?

Kevin

And yes, the editors could send me quicktime files, but for some reason it is like pulling teeth to get them to do so.:D

2. markgamber macrumors 6502

I doubt you're in that small of a minority. There is a LOT (LOT!) of streaming audio and video around that's in wmv/wma format as well. As I recall, MLB live video and audio streams are wmv and I know for a fact that all the minor league games I listen to are in wmv format. And that's just what I use every day.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the answer is no. Apple seems content to use the iPhone as it's middle finger. Yet another reason I have a Tilt and a Blackberry along with the iPhone.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Likely, Flip4Mac will make something, or someone will port VLC. Although I think it may be against the SDK.

The question is why anyone would use such a crappy format as WM.

TEG

4. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Really? Do we need to start that debate in here? LOL

Seriously there's no reason to debate what file format is better. The fact is that millions of web sites are using WMV, so it would be nice if Apple throws us a bone and lets someone write a player for it. Flash would be nice too since a lot of web sites use Flash for their videos! :(

5. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Totally agree. I'm hoping Tuner will provide support for windows media streams soon...

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure why Apple (or anyone else) would want this. It's a pain enough to watch WMV in OS X, and I can't see it being any easier on the iPhone. While 50 different video formats are fine online/on a computer, I don't think it's going to be a good thing if Apple lets you play everything under the sun on your phone.

7. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Why not? I've played dozens of formats on my Windows Mobile devices since 2003.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I wouldn't buy or download an application to play WMV.

9. turbo63 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I should have figured everyone on here would not care. It would be for those people who are not apple fanboys who have the Iphone. Which I bet is a majority of the people now.

I know VNC is pretty popular, so there must be a need for a WMV player on the Iphone if there is one for the computer.

Just not with MS hating Apple Fan Boys! :eek:

10. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I agree, this would be a nice add on. I get wmv files in emails that I unfortunately can't play. It would be nice to play them on the iphone without having to get on my laptop.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, if you REALLY want to open that can of worms, I won't stop you, but....
    It's probably true that most people who are picking up iPhones aren't Apple fans, but the fact is, they're in our ecosystem now. I RARELY if ever use Quicktime on my MBP, and rock VLC like it's my job, but don't mind that I'll have to reformat for the iPhone. Why, you may ask? Because I know that MP4 video is optimized for the iPhone and will run without a problem. What about Codec 713 originating from a RealPlayer file? I'd imagine that it's not going to show a lot of love to my battery life or processors. There's a reason Flash isn't on the iPhone, and I'm fairly certain it would apply to all these other formats as well.

12. ofnj2 macrumors newbie

I find it really funny how some people are trying to explain why we should not run Windows Media files on IPhone. All this talk about the superiority of formats is a complete nonsense. The fact is, when I try to access websites that use streaming formats other than the ones compatible with IPhone, I am getting screwed. As a matter of fact, other than YouTube, I haven't seen Internet sites with video streaming that IPhone would support. Only a few ones that have podcasts. Many others are using Windows Media streaming for several years and apparently don't care about the IPhone requirements. If the absence of IPhone support for other formats (including Windows Media streaming) is due to the immaturity of the product and the support of more formats is on the way, I can accept that and will patiently wait. But, if someone at Apple is trying to engage in the ego battles about formats and technologies at the expense of the Iphone buyers, I find it really appalling. IPhone is not just a phone. People are willing to pay extra money for it being a computer. So the expectations are high. IPhone needs to live up to those expectations. Otherwise, it will remain a crippled product. But I still love it anyway. :cool: