Windows Media Center Equivalent for Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ppc_michael, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I was playing with Windows Media Center for the first time the other day, and I've gotta say, it looks pretty sweet.

I would love something like that to work with my iTunes stuff, iPhoto stuff, etc. That's the AppleTV, of course, but AppleTV can't interface with my digital cable (live TV, DVR, etc) or burn DVDs, which is the deal breaker.

So is there anything that can do all the stuff Windows Media Center does?

2. Boss250 macrumors newbie

Win MC Equivalent

I am in the same position as you :( for the past 3 years I've been using Media Center on XP on my windows machine as my a full time DVR and just love it until my motherboard got fried, now Im on a mac and dont want to go back but I really want Media center and not sure if this helps or not but there is something that I am probably going to buy called eyetv and from what I can tell it does the same thing as Media center as far as functionality and hardware, somewhat but what Im wondering is what else do you need to buy with eyetv, a remote(where from?) or is the stock apple remote good enough for eyetv software? a IR adapter for older macs which Im actually using the one from my PC and the program "Mira" and you also need something to change channels right from what I've found the "ZephIR" is the way to go? and another thing that Im not sure of is the software and OS X integration of the stock eyetv, good? any alternatives? Media center was basically front-row with a TV recording function which was great, anyone own a eyetv or have any suggestions for us?

3. Boss250 macrumors newbie

Sorry.

stupid question but is there anyway to delete posts? I somehow double posted.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Nope just put something like '' Please delete double post " and wait for a Mod to find it

5. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

From what I gather, you'd need a CableCARD to fully support digital cable (as is the case with WMC as well, I believe), otherwise you only receive the analog cable and over-the-air stuff.

Yargh, it's hard because I don't know enough about this stuff in the first place, it just looks like something very interesting.

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

BOOTCAMPS.. buy xp mce oem and install it on your mac... get a tv tuner, mce remote and you are ready to go in 5 minutes.. no big deal..

the files are recorded in MS-DVR, so find a dvd burner that can burn these file types/extensions... set to go.. in 5 minutes..

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think that really annoys the mods. They'd rather you report your post and in the message ask for them to delete it. Leaving it with a 'please delete' message just adds to clutter.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Ok, maybe it should be put as a sticky somewhere as i wasn't aware of that

9. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

My question is more about breaking away from Microsoft and the Windows OS. I have a computer running Windows with WMC already, so that's not really the problem. I would prefer an Apple solution.