Windows Media Player 7.1 for Mac LIKES/DISLIKES

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dg45, May 7, 2009.

1. dg45 macrumors regular

have anyone used it?
    what are you likes and dislikes?
    Is it fast/none laggy?

also what is the best/most used video player out there? why do u like like the player?
    thanks

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I do not like it, because it doesn't work with newer Windows Media formats. What I use instead is Flip4Mac, which Microsoft would link you to when you try to download Windows Media Player for Mac. It works great, and plays natively in QuickTime.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

It is a top candidate for worst Mac application. It comes as a custom installer that you need admin access for, the GUI looks like it hit every branch on the way down from the ugly-tree, it plays only Windows Media*, and it plays it very badly, ie. quality looks like it was converted to 320x240 Realvideo and back.

Then when you want to delete it it actually has locked files inside the application package.

*It does not even play AVI, despite it being one of the most used video containers. The difference between the Windows version and the Mac version is that on Windows it is Windows Media Player, but the Mac version is Windows Media Player.

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Oh, I've tried Windows Media Player for Mac and regretted the download immediately. It's a prime candidate for 'worst app for mac - ever'.

VLC does everything I need and for the rest I use iTunes. :cool: