Windows Media Player App ????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Sep 22, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

i have this weird file called 'Window Media Player App' i am trying to
    chuck in the trash and get rid of, but it says it is locked and
    i now cannot empty my trash ?????
    this is some weird bill gates ****, that is annoying me......please help....

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You shouldn't have downloaded that anyway, as Microsoft's web site clearly says not to.

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Secure Empty Trash is still not working .....!

it seems that there are 100's of little files inside the app, that are all locked.
    it would take me 3 weeks to go in and manually change the unlocked status on all of them....... what do i do ?

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Restart and try :)

Flip4Mac plays WMV files in Quicktime btw...

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

7. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

hello dpaanlka,

that is the sickest shorcut i have come by !
    you ARE a true Demi-God.

BTW , it worked by holding down option while emptying the trash .

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

it is also a shortcut from the OS 7.1 days... :)

9. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

hmmmm well this is the first time I hear about this, I know that the MSN site says that it is not doing Explorer 4 Macs but not too long ago I Dld WMP9 and it's working ok,

Is there a reason why MS mentioned that and where is it, I looked at this http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/mac/mp9/default.aspxpage (may be wrong page) to see why they don't us Mac users using WMP but either I missed it or becoming blind :eek:

Thanks!!!

:apple:

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=windowsmedia

Microsoft will continue to offer Windows Media Player 9 as a free download for Macintosh users, but has no plans to provide future updates or product support for Windows Media Player for Mac.

As an alternative, Microsoft has teamed up with Telestream to make its popular Flip4Mac program available to Macintosh users. Flip4Mac provides Windows Media video and audio playback in the QuickTime Player for Mac OS X.

Because its very very old and outdated, its PowerPC only so is definetely something you don't want to install on an Intel Mac, it doesn't actually play half of WMV files anyway, and because Flip4Mac is a much more elegant choice (plays WMV files inside QuickTime).

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Flip4Mac can only play non-DRMed Windows Media 9 or older files. It cannot play Windows Media 10 or Windows Media 11, DRMed or not. In this regard Flip4Mac can only play files that are handled by the most recent version of Windows Media Player for Mac. That said, it seems that the march of Windows Media 10 and 11 stopped when Microsoft stopped development for the Mac. So Flip4Mac can handle just about every WMV file you will encounter.