Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Ok I've got a really weird problem.

The football/soccer team I support (Arsenal) has an online service which lets you watch streaming WMP videos (http://tv.arsenal.com).

Now on my Power Mac G5, these videos work. It says Connecting to server, then buffering, then it plays.

On my G4 PowerBook, with exactly the same version Safari, same WMP, same internet plugins installed, the videos don't work! It just says Connecting to server for ages then comes up with a popup saying File name or path incorrect.

What the hell?

Any settings or anything I have to do? I really need help.. thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Noted said:
On my G4 PowerBook, with exactly the same version Safari, same WMP, same internet plugins installed, the videos don't work! It just says Connecting to server for ages then comes up with a popup saying File name or path incorrect.

Tell me about the following...

1) Are the firewall configurations the same?

2) Do they acquire their network connection the same way, or is one wired vs. the other Airport?

Noted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
mkrishnan said:
Tell me about the following...

1) Are the firewall configurations the same?

2) Do they acquire their network connection the same way, or is one wired vs. the other Airport?

The PowerBook is wireless (Airport) while the Power Mac is wired. Why would that make a difference. I'm not sure about the firewall settings. Do you mean the ports?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Noted said:
The PowerBook is wireless (Airport) while the Power Mac is wired. Why would that make a difference. I'm not sure about the firewall settings. Do you mean the ports?

That does make a difference, since (I'm assuming) you're connected to the AirPort's LAN port, which basically connects directly to the internet access source (no firewalls or anything), while the PowerBook is connected wireless, and thus is behind the AirPort's firewall.

Noted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Raven VII said:
That does make a difference, since (I'm assuming) you're connected to the AirPort's LAN port, which basically connects directly to the internet access source (no firewalls or anything), while the PowerBook is connected wireless, and thus is behind the AirPort's firewall.

So what can I do?

Noted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Eraserhead said:
try temporarily disabling the firewall on the Powerbook?

The firewall is off. Also I just changed the PB to a wired connection instead of Airport and it still didn't work. Maybe theres some sort of problem on my PowerBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.