Windows Media Player for os x?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ruffian829, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I was trying to listen to the radio through a website and it wont play on my mac (I'm pretty new to macs!) so I clicked "help" and it said that I needed to download windows media player for mac, so i went to the website in the link and I downloaded the windows media player files for quicktime, but when I tried the website again I still couldn't listen to it (a yellow bar comes up at the top of the screen that says I need plugins, but when I search for them it says no suitable plugins found...). So I tried downloading the windows media player for mac os x and something downloads, when I click on it to open it says "unable to expand windows media 3.stix - stuffit archives are not supported.

what do I need to do to get this to work?
    I know when I brought the mac to apple support for trouble with Safari and he downloaded Firefox he had to download it, and then moved the file somewhere for it to work (the applications folder maybe? I dont remember)
    am I missing a step somewhere in here like that?? - is it possible to get this to work with just the files for quicktime (the less I have to download I assume is better)??

2. bashveank macrumors member

3. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont believe so... is that what I need? where can I find it?

4. Dany M macrumors 6502

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

yep here's a link

6. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just checked I actually have downloaded Flip4Mac... I dont know when, Its just appeared on my desktop.

7. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so I downloaded and installed the Flip4Mac, but the website still wont play- do I need to put this download somewhere for it to work when I try the website? do I need to like, open it, and then try the website??

8. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured I'd try the website in Safari, and I got this message: "The page “WTKK-FM” has content of MIME type “application/x-mplayer2”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed."

still can't get it to play

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

did you download perian also? or you could try VLC

10. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually already have VLC... I still can't play the website

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

give us a link and i'll try it out

12. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I dunno i'm getting the same message as you, stumped on this one i'm affraid maybe someone else might have a answer?

Picture 3.png

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine works. I have Flip4Mac, QuickTime 7 Pro, VLC, MPlayer, and DIVX Pro

Of course it just crashed my browser :(

EDIT: Okay it crashed Minefield. Opera plays without any issues. Webkit doesn't crash either.

I'm also guessing this is what it should be?
    [​IMG]

15. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

that is what it should be yes...
    i wonder why its so hard to play? maybe the website is having issues?

I have everything you have, except for the Mplayer- I tried to download that- but when I tried to install it i got that message saying it couldn't expand the files...

oh and I dont have the DIVX Pro...

any idea why I can't get the media player to install? and do you think the DIVX pro is causing the difference?

(ps- this might be a dumb question, but whats minefield, opera and webkit??)

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I suspect it might well be DivX that makes the difference.

Isn't mplayer just an alternative to VLC, or is it largely different?

I can't play it on mine either, I have Perian and VLC installed. Never did get around to installing Flip4Mac after the performance issues back when Leopard was first released.

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Opera's a browser, minefield was or still is i don't know the code name developers use/used for firefox, webkit is a open source web browser engine,also the name of OS X's version of that framework that's used by safari

Just tried playing playing it again through firefox & opera as well as safari,both firefox & opera took a dump so it's gotta be DivX or Mplayer that's the problem

neil

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Opera is another browser that's very robust stable. It used to be paid, but now it's free. I've used it for many years (when it was paid).

Minefield is the Firefox nightly builds. A nightly build is essentially code that's been just written and then compiled; like the name implies, it's updately every night; it's up to the user to check to bugs and stuff; for example, all those spanking features in FF3, I've been using for ages in Minefield.

Webkit is the code base for Safari, iPhone Safari, and S60 browser. It's also a nightly build. As of now it's the only browser that gets 100% compliance with Acid 3 tests.

The website says Windows Media is needed and I know MPlayer integrates into the browser; DIVX has nothing to do with Windows Media.

19. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

but if windows media player is what is needed wouldn't I be able to assume that the windows media files for quicktime should do the job? or will WMP actually work better (and if so, how can I get it to download? i still get the "cannot expand files" message from stuffit)

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Flip4Mac is the software the uses WMP files and codecs. BTW I tried out your website and everything worked great with my Safari. I'm currently playing a live stream while typing this and no crashing of my browser. I have Flip4Mac and Perian installed.

22. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

My answer not good enough then :eek:

23. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

>My answer not good enough then

and I forgot to say thanks for your answers!
    I didn't quite realize there were that many servers out there...

24. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded Perian and I have Flip4Mac and I still can't get it to play (on Safari or Firefox)
    maybe I should just buy a radio... lol

I'll have to try to get the Mplayer to download and install...

25. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Sorry for confusion but i was referring to alphaod's long winded reply rather than my simple approach, thats why i quoted him