Windows Media Player or Flip4Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by c073186, Sep 1, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I need to be able to play WMV files because of an online class I am taking, so I was wondering which option is better between downloading Windows Media Player for Mac or Flip4Mac so I can play them in Quicktime.

Are there any advantages / disadvantages to each? I do not need WMP for anything else (i.e. playing songs, burning CDs, etc.).

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You should be able to check them both out,
    but Flip4Mac seems to work well for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

For the sake of simplicity, flip4mac is fine. It works as a part of quicktime, so making it simpler and smaller in file size.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are some TV station video feeds that don't like Flip4Mac. That said, Windows Media Player for MacOS X is PPC-only and is no longer supported by Microsoft. In fact, Microsoft endorses Flip4Mac. It even provides a link to Flip4Mac. Except for a few special cases--actually, one case multiplied by several implementations--there is nothing that WMP for MacOS X can do that Flip4Mac can't.

5. Toniola macrumors member

You have probably gotten your answer to this by the other posts, but I wanted to mention, stay away from WMP, it will cause problems. It has not been supported for the Mac for several years. Any version you get will produce software conflicts. F4M is the plug in of choice for wmv.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Flip4Mac works well.

On the Mac side, that is what I use.

On the PC (Windows) side, I use Windows Media Player instead of Quicktime. Most of the time I run Windows via Parallels or VMware Fusion. Works fine.

Best of both worlds you might say. :)