Windows media player, other video players

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Apr 23, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I wonder if it would be useful to install windows media player for mac on my mbp.
    Some told me stories about being unable to uninstall it when they wanted to.
    Others tell it is useless.

But I think it could help me to see some streaming media that flip4mac could not handle.
    I think also that mplayer is not the best player to view wmv videos.(vlc do not play them at all).

Also I cannot understand why do I have to have many video players in order to see several formats of video.
    Vlc for most of them, mplayer for wmv etc.

I would like to have only one player like I did in windows. Windows media player for all videos.

Should I install it?
    Is there any player to play all video formats? (vlc do not play wmv-mplayer is not a good player I think)

2. justG macrumors member

justG

I use VLC and just don't download/use any formats it can't handle. :D

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Have you installed perian as well as flip4mac? These two combinations together for me leave very little that quicktime can't handle.

For everything else, there's VLC.

4. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I installed perian and flip4mac.
    I do not remember specific examples to write them down here but there are sites and videos that do not display in mac os x.

Nobody suggests installing windows media player? It has nothing new to offer?

5. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I think WMP on the Mac is next to useless now and I don't think M$ are ever going to update it again. I haven't found a video yet that Flip4Mac cant handle and I'm happy with it.

6. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

It can no longer handle video from cnn.com.

=======

It appears to be working again today. 12:45 CDT

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Microsoft no longer develops Windows Media Player for MacOS X. Its webpage gives a link to Flip4Mac.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The only Windows Media video that straight-up won't work on OS X (regardless of whether you're using MS's discontinued Windows Media Player or the Flip4Mac components) is stuff that has DRM on it. Otherwise, sites that tell you it can't work (or misbehave) are mostly just badly coded—it's likely they would work if they'd ignore the player you have and just let whatever's on your end handle it.

9. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I can't install it I don't know why (I've tried the two formats and I've read the differences). Does it work on intel Mac's?? I've got a MacBook

10. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

yes, its true:

windows media player for mac is no longer being developed.

It makes sense; m$ should focus on developing office, since office is actually a good set of products. calling WMP9/Mac a completed product is something of a stretch, as it was so awful.