Windows Media Player plug-in

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

This is very basic, but for some reason I can't figure it out...

Ever since updating to Safari 3.1 I can no longer view any videos that require the Windows Media Player plug-in.

Am I missing something here very basic or what?

TIA

PD - The Windows Media Player download page does not have a plug-in for any Mac browser (Safari, Firefox or Opera...don't use IE or others myself).

2. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I've installed the free Flip4Mac Player and still I can't see the video on this particular page. I think I should try visiting some other pages that have videos and require Windows Media Player to view them...maybe it's just this one page I'm visiting that might have a problem.

BTW, I've verified that the Flip4MAc is indeed installed...and I assume that I'm OK with the free version (player) and I don't have to purchase any of the other versions.

Thanks for your input.

EDIT - This is he message I get:

"Safari cannot find the Internet plug-in.
    The page “ISA World Masters Surfing Championship” has content of MIME type “application/x-oleobject”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed."

3. jcs1088 macrumors regular

You should install Perian as well, it will help with other codecs. Go into System Preferences > QuickTime > Advanced > MIME Settings and under video click on all the codecs you want. One more thing after you do all of this, reboot your computer.