Windows Media Player plug-in

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    This is very basic, but for some reason I can't figure it out...

Ever since updating to Safari 3.1 I can no longer view any videos that require the Windows Media Player plug-in.

Am I missing something here very basic or what?

PD - The Windows Media Player download page does not have a plug-in for any Mac browser (Safari, Firefox or Opera...don't use IE or others myself).
  2. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    Thanks. I've installed the free Flip4Mac Player and still I can't see the video on this particular page. I think I should try visiting some other pages that have videos and require Windows Media Player to view them...maybe it's just this one page I'm visiting that might have a problem.

BTW, I've verified that the Flip4MAc is indeed installed...and I assume that I'm OK with the free version (player) and I don't have to purchase any of the other versions.

Thanks for your input.

EDIT - This is he message I get:

"Safari cannot find the Internet plug-in.
    The page “ISA World Masters Surfing Championship” has content of MIME type “application/x-oleobject”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed."
  3. jcs1088 macrumors regular

Oct 12, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    You should install Perian as well, it will help with other codecs. Go into System Preferences > QuickTime > Advanced > MIME Settings and under video click on all the codecs you want. One more thing after you do all of this, reboot your computer.