Windows Media Player Video Stream On Site - Need Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ::Lisa::, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Hi all, I need a bit of help in regard of a site I need to visit once a month maximum. It's a research site and every month or even less I get sent a study to do. Problem is, their pages are designed for internet explorer. A few days ago I got sent a 'Video Test' it just a test to confirm that I can see the visial. It's done in Windows Media Player. I use Firefox 2.0.0.11.

Logged into the site, it came up with my system specs then link at bottom to proceed to visial test. Nothing comes up at all. Now I realise there are ways around this such as Flip4Mac, but I already have this installed :confused: still nothing. I go to the next page and Firefox states 'additional plugins are reqired to display all media on this page" I click to show that, but it states unknown. I click manual install and get a .cab file.

Tried on Safari also but when it gets to the video test page it goes ape and reloads the page every 2 seconds and get a pop up about the cab file too but then reload etc. So much I had to force quit it to get the damn thing to go away!

I would link you to the page, but unfortunately you need to be logged in to see it. I'm not able to change passwords etc on there so it's a no go with sharing my details lol.

Do I really have to use a PC with Internet Explorer to get this to work? It hardly seems worth the trouble for once or less a month, but yet I don't fancy giving it up if it earns me a little bit o money, even if it's just a small amount kwim?

Have attached some screen caps.

Thanks
    Lisa

Attached Files:

2. Queso macrumors G4

See if you can get hold of the old Windows Media Player for Mac. That plays some streams that flip4mac can't.

Failing that, it's Windows-only. When will the establishment in this country learn? :rolleyes:

3. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh, I know. Tell me about it. WMP on my Mac *gags* :rolleyes:

But have done that as you suggested. Got 7.1 which was on Mactopia M/S site and tried to open it, says that it cannot open it because the classic environment is no loner supported. Hmm, any ideas? :confused:

4. Queso macrumors G4

You should be able to get WMP9 for OSX. Here's a link.

5. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just tried WMP 9 too and upon opening get "Unable to expand "Windows Media.sitx" - Stuffit archives are not supported" If I ever get this to open properly and install, can I steam and remove Flip4Mac? Is it possible someone that can extract it without this error be able to send me the DMG through email or something? I would be very, very grateful.

I'm on Leopard 10.5.1 by the way.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

just tried to download it but get the same as you sorry

7. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for trying anyway :)

8. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, so I managed to eventually extract it and install Windows Media Player 9 for my Mac. Cleared Firefox's cookies/cache/history etc. Went back to the site logged in and no such luck :(

When I installed WMP 9, it seemed to install a lot of stuff, I guess I have a load of MS stuff scattered around my Mac now, where would I remove any leftover remnants from? I guess it's the prefspane? Anywhere else? :confused:

Looks like I'll have to finish and do the studies on the kids PC. Ugh. Ah well, thanks all for your help.

9. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

If you want to use WMP as a plugin, you will probably need to disable Flip4Mac (if the install process didn't do this for you already). You can do this in the System Preferences.

SL

10. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but that didn't work neither. I just got a pop-up stating I need Flip4Mac again after I disabled it. Got fed up, removed Windows Media Player and just went and completed the 2 min video test on a PC :rolleyes:
    I also left them a nice little comment in the comments box stating it would be nice to use a more cross-platform video in their tests.

Thanks everyone for your help.