Windows Media Player webcasts will not work

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jenzjen, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jenzjen, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

I have 2 machines both running Windows 7 x64 under Bootcamp (both fully updated Snow Leopard) and have the same issue, namely I cannot stream any Windows Media Player based webcasts. When I try, the site just keeps trying to connect to the stream but eventually times out. Any thoughts?

Here's where my head hurts:
    * the WMP webcast does not work in IE8 or FireFox ... it *does* work in both if I use a real Windows machine, ie Dell
    * the Real Player webcast works if I can choose between WMP and Real
    * if I boot into the Mac, the WMP webcast works there

The problem is not every site gives you Real as an option, and I have to stay on the Windows side for work. My solution so far has been to keep the laptop booted up in Mac on my desk, but I'd really like to get this to work the right way.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

I can't use VLC ... it is a work machine, so I can't install anything on it.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Hmm I would guess that the browser doesn't have the plugin to use WMP by default (although IE 8 should have this nailed down on a clean install of W7). Are you using a browser other than IE?

5. jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I forgot to add that to my OP, but I have tried with both IE8 and FireFox and neither work. Both browsers play the webcast on the Dell.

I tried more troubleshooting to no avail with any of these:
    * ran IE as an administrator
    * ran x64 version of IE
    * turned off Windows Firewall

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'd say a screenshot would be very helpful. Is the webcast supposed to run in the browser or open a separate windows media player?

7. jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, vistadude, if you figure this out, you are a hero.

Here's a video where I show you it working via Real, not working via WMP (I killed it early, it will stay "loading" for up to 2 minutes before timing out) and working again via Real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh0PUKUF0xY

8. vistadude macrumors 65816

Try these, hopefully one will work.

1) I tried one of the shareholder.com video webinars and you have to run an activeX applet to allow wmp to work. So try clearing all internet history including cookies and try the site again. There should be a yellow bar right below the address bar that prompts you to run the wmp applet.

2) Disable the popup blocker in internet options, privacy. I think this is most likely the solution.

3) I also noticed in the default security options, if you click custom level, and scroll about one fourth of the way down, there is an option called "display video and animation on a webpage that does not use external media player", on my computer by default this is disabled. Try enabling this.

Hope this works!

9. jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

No luck, I did all 3- reset IE completely, disabled the pop-up and changed that security option. Restarted IE and still the same problem.

I think it is *outside* IE specific, though, because I have the same issue when I try via FireFox as the Real webcast will work while the WMP webcast will not.

10. jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

Figured I'd give this 1 bump to see if there's anything else I can do ...