Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to releasing the latest macOS Sonoma 14.4 update on Thursday, Apple also released a new version of its Windows Migration Assistant software for PCs to include compatibility with the latest version of macOS.

migration-assistant.jpg

Version 3.0.0.0 of the utility provides support for users looking to migrate their data from a PC running Windows 10 or later to Apple's latest Mac operating system. The assistant transfers users' contacts, calendars, email accounts, and more from a Windows machine and migrates the data to the appropriate places in macOS.

Version 2.4.5.0 remains available for users whose Mac is running macOS Ventura, macOS Monterey, or a version of macOS Sonoma earlier than 14.4. Versions of Windows Migration Assistant for macOS Big Sur and earlier also remain available. The macOS version of Migration Assistant lives in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Apple advises users to turn off any antivirus, firewall, or VPN software until the transfer of information is complete. For more information, consult Apple's updated support article.

Article Link: Windows Migration Assistant Upgraded for macOS Sonoma 14.4

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

Account25476

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2021
Strange timing, macOS Sonoma has been around since months now... I'd have expected that for the new macOS 15.

Who knows if it has a certain meaning or is purely linked to delays in Apple's software development (more likely).

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Strange timing, macOS Sonoma has been around since months now... I'd have expected that for the new macOS 15.

Who knows if it has a certain meaning or is purely linked to delays in Apple's software development (more likely).
I am also curious, but it seems either the article makes it more confusing. This new tool only supports 14.4 and newer, but the former version 14.3.1 and older, so it is not the Sonoma support that is new, but that it is solely for Sonoma.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Now if only it could migrate my Steam copy of Resident Evil Village instead of me having to buy a whole new copy off the Mac App Store at full price. 😭

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Now if only it could migrate my Steam copy of Resident Evil Village instead of me having to buy a whole new copy off the Mac App Store at full price. 😭

You can, by installing Steam on your Mac. Apparently that is not on option for Resident Evil Village. Ouch!

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

There has been notable changes with regards to security in macOS 14.4, and likely a big reason for the version bump. I frequently run an older Intel app off of an external HDD, and it would no longer launch after installing 14.4. I had to copy it to the internal SSD to get it to launch.

As for the version number (Version 3.0.0.0)... I wonder why the extra .0? Are they reminding users that using Windows is more complex than macOS? 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.