Windows Migration to my new IMac questions.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Totally Bored, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Totally Bored macrumors member

Totally Bored

Just got my new iMac, so exciting !!!

I have a 2003 windows based XP that's full of viruses UGH. I want to transfer all my iTunes content, email contacts and Firefox links. My fear is that I'll transfer the nasty viruses to the iMac. Is this possible ?

Also, what would happen if I dont use the migration program and hook up my iPhone to the iMac. Will it send all my contacts to the iMac and or music files or will it delete what's on the phone ?

FWIW, I downloaded the Migratuon program last night. Not sure it even loaded up right.

I have all my files backed up on a external USB hard drive just in case with about 100 gig of videos and other stuff.

Thanks in advance. Scary stuff for a newbie Mac guy.

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You won't transfer any viruses. Assuming you are using iCloud, you shouldn't have to worry about contacts. When you log into your iCloud account on the Mac, it will all be there.

3. Totally Bored thread starter macrumors member

Totally Bored

I don't use iCloud.

Never really understood iCloud. Don't you have to pay for that if it gets to big ? Yeah I'm a dinosaur ... Lol

It says I have 4.9 gig available but I have my iCloud Drive turned off. I've got 30 gigs of stuff on iTunes. If I "upgrade to iCloud Drive" won't I have to pay a fee ?

Also wondering if I connect my iPhone to the new iMac with a empty iTunes, will it delete all my songs and contacts on the iPhone ?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

All you need to do is use Migration Assistant to migrate the data from the PC to the new Mac. If all you care about is the iTunes content then drag the iTunes library to an external HD or Flash Drive and when the new Mac arrives, drag the file to ~/Music and then double click the file and that will launch iTunes and you're done. The ~ signifies your home directory.

If you don't know about Migration Assistant and are interested in that route please click:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1557?locale=en_US