Windows Mind Blowingly Slow on MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WAM2, Oct 28, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

So I Have a MBP, Completely maxed out, with an SSD on its way, I Decided to install windows just because, and When running it, it is Notably SLOWER than Lion, Now there isn't much installed, just a game or 2, and in task manager nothing in running but the system processes, Windows should run really good,

Early 2008 MBP
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
    6GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256mb
    200gb 5400-rpm HDD

It is actually SLOWER than my windows laptop

Compaq
    2ghz Intel Celeron
    2gb Ram
    GMA 950 64mb
    200gb 5400-rpm HDD

I Mean Common! Bootcamp driver are installed, yet my wireless nor Sound worked, but I Got the sound working, but without WiFi idk where to get the driver for the WiFi.

Any Ideas?

2. atisz macrumors newbie

I'm using Win 7 on my 2007 MBP, and mine is also very slow. But I guess it's because of the 2 GB ram, and too much stuff installed. I never had problems with the drivers. Installed bootcamp, and everything work flawlessly.
    The worst for me is the boot up, takes about 3-5 minutes. I turn on the laptop, there's is like 20 second gray screen, then 30-40 second black screen, then Windows finally starts loading extremely slowly.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Windows runs already quite fast with only 1 GB RAM.

What does the System Bench Say what are the scores you get?

Open Device Manager (make a screen shot). Often when an OS appears very slow it is because some drivers aren't properly installed the most important being the graphics driver.

What is slow. Application launches. Animations like dragging around windows. Switching applications, opening folders ??

As far as load times of Apps and Data go with an HDD you always have to expect worse, because I assume you have a partition at the end of your drive for Windows.
    HDDs start outside of the drive where it is fastest say about 100 MB/s. A partition in the last quarter of the drive is only about 60 MB/s. SSDs don't have that problem. They are equally fast all over the drive.
    It may only impact boot times (and not that much) but it shouldn't impact runtime performance in a very noticeable way.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I have about the same laptop, just 2.5ghz instead of 2.4, and only 2 Gb of ram. I use Win7 + bootcamp for gaming from time to time:

- boots up in ~30-50 seconds (never timed it, but it doesn't feel slower than booting into OSX)
    - Wifi, sound, everything else works
    - was able to play Rift in low/medium settings at 1920x1080
    - Win7 itself feels a bit weird, i.e. the way things react when you click on them etc. The touchpad feels like crap, but I only use it for gaming and for that I use an external mouse of course

Yeah, dunno what's wrong for you. I think I'm using some older bootcamp version (pre Lion for sure). Maybe some drivers are missing?