Windows Mobile with a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wayland1985, Dec 1, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I'm on my second Mac computer (Powerbook G4 and now MBP early 2008 revision). I love it all around, and although I do get drawn towards Vista's eye candy sometimes, I cant get around how clean the Mac feels.

I've also had an iPhone 2g for the past year. I'm mostly in love with it, but the fact that I STILL can't copy and paste, EASILY send or receive Picture messages (anybody else miss out on some funny Presidential election Multimedia messages??), or easily forward text messages has me looking at other phones for my upgrade next month.

I'm leaning towards a windows mobile device (The HTC Touch Pro), as it has all the functionality I want, along with the features I want. While it wont be as "Clean" and fast as the iPhone, and while I wont get to have the great iPod functionality (only some windows media player crap), it will allow me to run the programs I need for school/work (Healthcare related programs)

Anyways, are the mac OS and windows mobile friendly??? Will I be able to sync my calendars, music, photos & contacts??? Please let me know!!!

2. pobresucka macrumors newbie

It's good, but...

First of all, you will need TheMissingSync. I think it runs about $30, but it is the best syncing solution I know of for mac. I personally use a combination of imap for email, and nuevasync and plaxo for contacts so I never have to sync my hardware. Other than that, I think you'll be fine. Be aware that some programs (especially medical, professional, etc.) will only allow oyu to install them from your computer, meaning you need parallels or vmware. No question. Most apps, however, are able to be installed by a simple .cab file on the device. I think you'll find windows mobile can do a lot more than most people think: youtube, streaming video from other sites, full flash, ajax, and silverlight support via the skyfire browser, and an amazing amount of apps to get the most out of your device. Plus, pandora was just released for an LG WinMo phone, so it should be ported over soon. If you think this is helpful, I'd love to buy your used iPhone if the price is right and you no longer need it. PM me.

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's one concern of mine. I love my games, and LOVE Shazaam. But, of course, the productivity apps aren't yet what I need them to be.

The iPhone, though, wont be for sale. I'll likely hand it over the the girlfriend, so I can get her on AT&T and drop to a lower rate plan! :eek: