Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmac

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2006
Hattiesburg, MS
Not only have I seen something like that, but I've had to do it once!

I kept my Windows OS on a different partition than all my photos, docs, music, etc. I had to reinstall the OS, but I entered my name differently (I used Tim instead of Timothy, or vice-versa). I had to then go back and change permission on every photo, document, etc.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If you have done all of this without crying or cursing and instead, you are celebrating, let me offer you a round of applause. You did it!

I think if you look carefully, written in invisible ink in that sentence is "or switching to a Mac".

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
baby duck monge said:
You seriously have to restart your Windows machine to change permissions? Yikes! Learn something new every day, I guess.

Not usually, unless you're running Windows XP Home. XP Home needs to be booted into Safe Mode to access the Administrator account. This is one of the many ways in which XP Home is an infuriatingly crippled release.

I'm a bit surprised that the article didn't have the person take ownership of the folder and reassign the permissions that way. There's an option there to recursively replace the ownership on all files and folders within said folder. I believe any Administrator can do this. It seems a bit more logical than uninstalling Quake, restarting, and reinstalling.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Lixivial said:
Not usually, unless you're running Windows XP Home. XP Home needs to be booted into Safe Mode to access the Administrator account. This is one of the many ways in which XP Home is an infuriatingly crippled release.

That's good to know, I guess, since if I were to ever be running XP it would most likely be XP Pro. Still, though, if that is one of their ways of attempting to make XP more secure it sure seems like piss-poor implementation. Also, it doesn't seem to have stopped people from exploiting the OS.

Lixivial said:

I'm a bit surprised that the article didn't have the person take ownership of the folder and reassign the permissions that way. There's an option there to recursively replace the ownership on all files and folders within said folder. I believe any Administrator can do this. It seems a bit more logical than uninstalling Quake, restarting, and reinstalling.

I agree. Kim Komando has a nationally syndicated weekly show so i'm surprised nobody on her research team came up with your suggestion. I've listened a few times. She likes Macs, or least I've heard her say positive things about the iMac & Powerbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.