Windows Network on a MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thomamon, Sep 6, 2009.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

More help to the newb Mac user, if you don't mind.

So, I've configured it so I can see my MAC on my Windows machine. However, for the life of me I can't figure out how to see my windows machines(Vista 64) from my Mac. Is there an easy guide how to set this up somewhere?

I am using Vista 64 SP2 and just upgraded the Mac to Snow Leopard.

Thanks again!

Tom

PS Anyone know an easy way to move my iTunes Library over to my MBP?

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

find out the workgroup your pc is on and enter it in the WINS tab in your network preferences.. and obviously make sure they are both connected to the same network

if its still not showing up in the shared section of finder just get the ip address of your pc and connect to server smb://ipaddressofpc and be prepared with the admin name/pw of the pc

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

OK, I've added the workgroup in the System Preferences. I don't see a shared section anywhere in finder, am I missing it?

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

If I use Windows, I can see the MAC. But not the other way around. Any clues?

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I've searched and googled, and still can't get a way for Sharing to come up in Finder. What am I doing wrong? Any experts, please?

6. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Have you tried this?
    And does it work?

7. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Yes, but when I reboot it disappears.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This is what I do. I have not ever had the network browser work properly with samba. It's always been hit or miss where some days the Windows machines show up sometimes they do not. Since all computers and devices on my network are assigned static IP address I just type in their addresses.

I know this has been a problem for me since 10.1 with Windows 98, 10.0 was just a novelty I never used much. I would say Mac OS 9 too but I do not recall how I shared with Windows machine over my network back then. Anyways this problem still shows with 10.6 and Windows 7 so typing in the Samba address is the way to go

9. nickhh macrumors newbie

This is what i Did in vista and it worked for me, I found it on the internet but cant remember where.

In regedit go to HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\parameters

make a new string value called OptionalNames then right click it and add a value
    here enter the ip address of your vista machine (your vista pc must have a fixed ip address for this to work) Reboot your vista machine.

When you browse the network from your mac your PC should show up but it can take a while after the reboot

HTH