Windows network problems.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CTJoyce, Sep 27, 2008.

1. CTJoyce macrumors member

Alright so here is the situation. I have 3 windows PCs all running Vista Ultimate x32, and my iBook G4 running 10.5.5 I have a Canon MP610 attached to one of my PCs that we share over the network.

Now here is the issue I am having. From my mac, I can connect to my PCs shared folder via Command+K then doing SMB://192.168.1.5 etc. File transfer and everything is great, in fact as I type this I am transferring 30GB worth of music from my desktop to my newly reformatted iBook. My problem occurs when I click on the network icon in my finder. Nothing appears. I did some research and found that unlike tiger which just shows you all available PC networks Leopard has the WINS setting in Network > Advanced. So I set my name in there, and set the workgroup to MSHOME. When I click OK and then Apply it does save the workgroup name and everything, but when I go into finder it doesn't show anything still under networking.

Basically I am fine with using SMB to connect to my Windows machines, but I would really like to get my mac connected to the network to access my shared printer.

Cheers
    Cameron

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Hopefully someone else will have a direct answer to your question...

I remember having similar issues and ended up getting a print server for the printer and making an old pc into the network file server, which could be mounted securely using SSH (& sshfs) from Macs and via Samba from PCs.

Sorry I know this is not the exact answer you were looking for but just an idea that has some advantages over the solution you're looking for. If you have a recent printer, AFAIK many already have an ethernet connector, if so you can network it directly. Then there does not need to be a computer turned on to print from another computer. Otherwise there are cheap mini print servers that attach to the printer with an ethernet adapter.

3. CTJoyce thread starter macrumors member

I was kinda holding out on the print server as a last resort. Unfortunately when I purchased my printer I was looking for performance per dollar, and networking options were last on my mind because I knew that I could just do a network shared device via Windows (really the only computers that absolutely need to print).

As far as the file sharing goes, I have a file server at home that also doubles as a server for my Acronis backup. I access it as a network mapped drive on my PCs and SMB to it when on the mac. That all works fine, but its just getting the printer to work.

Cheers
    Cameron

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I had a similar problem and I don't know if it was corrected with the updates. What I had to do was to create a new "Network location" and set the workgroup there (under WINS). Somehow the automatic wasn't saving the setting.

6. CTJoyce thread starter macrumors member

Figured it out its a DNS problem because my apartment complex has the worst network in the world.

Cheers
    Cameron