Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhorwitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
Hi everyone. I have a macbook pro core 2 duo 15.4'' 2.33ghz. I also have a windows desktop pc, connected directly to the internet through a linksys WRT54G router (ethernet port), and I connect to the internet with MBP Airport. My PC has a HP Deskjet 970cxi USB printer connected directly to it. The question is: how can i wirelessly send a document to the printer connected to my windows desktop PC??? any ideas???

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hi everyone. I have a macbook pro core 2 duo 15.4'' 2.33ghz. I also have a windows desktop pc, connected directly to the internet through a linksys WRT54G router (ethernet port), and I connect to the internet with MBP Airport. My PC has a HP Deskjet 970cxi USB printer connected directly to it. The question is: how can i wirelessly send a document to the printer connected to my windows desktop PC??? any ideas???
you are amazing for even being able to get the WRT54G to work with a mac! All praises!

Anyway, set up a new network in Windoze, then click the "file and printer sharing" checkbox when it comes along.

bhorwitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
you are amazing for even being able to get the WRT54G to work with a mac! All praises!

Anyway, set up a new network in Windoze, then click the "file and printer sharing" checkbox when it comes along.

i did that but I can't "see" the printer!

mike5732

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2006
First of all make sure you can see your windows computer from your mac. If you have printer sharing turned on it probably has file sharing enabled as well.

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Printer Setup Utility. Then go to the Printers menu and click "Add Printer". Click "More Printers" button at the bottom. Select "Windows Printing" from the menu. Then select the workgroup of your windows computer in the list below that. You should then see the hostname of your windows computer. Click on it and hit "Choose". Enter your username/password. Then hopefully you will see your printer in the list that comes up.

Now you will always have that printer as a choice when you print stuff from any program.

good luck

BTW, are you seriously having no problems with your WRT54G? Mine likes to annoy me on a daily basis :(:

bhorwitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
First of all make sure you can see your windows computer from your mac. If you have printer sharing turned on it probably has file sharing enabled as well.

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Printer Setup Utility. Then go to the Printers menu and click "Add Printer". Click "More Printers" button at the bottom. Select "Windows Printing" from the menu. Then select the workgroup of your windows computer in the list below that. You should then see the hostname of your windows computer. Click on it and hit "Choose". Enter your username/password. Then hopefully you will see your printer in the list that comes up.

Now you will always have that printer as a choice when you print stuff from any program.

good luck

BTW, are you seriously having no problems with your WRT54G? Mine likes to annoy me on a daily basis :(:

the ehing is I can't see my windows computer from my mac. Why is that!!? someone help please. I really do not have problems with the mentioned router.

mike5732

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2006
the ehing is I can't see my windows computer from my mac. Why is that!!? someone help please. I really do not have problems with the mentioned router.

First off, try to ping your windows computer from the terminal. Type "ping " then whatever your windows computer's ip address is. It is probably something like 192.168.xxx.xxx . If you don't know how to find the ip address of the windows computer, go to a command prompt and type in "ipconfig".

This test will make sure the computers are on the same network and there are no firewall issues.

And ChickenSwartz, my WRT53G (no idea which revision) only fails to send my macbook DHCP info. So try hardcoding an IP on its network and see if you have any luck. That is if you can connect to it anyways.....

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
???

Yeah seriously nice job. I couldn't do it.

I have the same router with my C2D Macbook and it works great. I never had a problem at all and it is a couple of years old and I have not did a firmware update or anything. My windows PC is ethernet and my MB is through airport. I'm using PPPoE with only the default settings other than I'm on channel 6 (because I find it doesn't in cause as much problems with my cordless phone) and I'm filtering by Mac address. Never had a problem at all. Of course that is surprising because I always have problems with linksys but normally only at install.

The Stig

Selenolycus

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

What? I have three WRT54G routers at my house, never had a problem connecting with my MacBook or iBook. Given, the primary one runs DD-WRT, the one next to it runs FON's OpenWrt variant, and the one in the livingroom has its DHCP-server disabled.

All of them, though, are version 2-3s, and cost me $20 or less a piece from thrift stores. ^_^

bhorwitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
anyone could just explain to me step by step what to do in order to get to see mi windows pc on my mac?? i really never had any problems connecting to my linksys router.... seriously.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
anyone could just explain to me step by step what to do in order to get to see mi windows pc on my mac?? i really never had any problems connecting to my linksys router.... seriously.

If no one's gotten to this in a day or so I'll jump back.. Unfortunately I can't help as I'm in my college dorm room, and my windows computer w/ a printer is over a train ride away..

Just out of curiosity, is the printer you're trying to use mac compatible?

bhorwitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2006
If no one's gotten to this in a day or so I'll jump back.. Unfortunately I can't help as I'm in my college dorm room, and my windows computer w/ a printer is over a train ride away..

Just out of curiosity, is the printer you're trying to use mac compatible?

yes, it is compatible! thanks. I still can't get it to work. ANy guess?? i can't even share files!

bastetbabe27

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2006
Okay, I had this same problem, and solved it, maybe I can help....

I use the same router you do, and I managed to fix my problems, which sound similar to yours.

First, you can connect to the internet wirelessly on your MBP, right?

Second, can you share files between your Mac and your PC?

If not, try this link for help:

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html

Make sure you can access files from your MBP to your PC, and vice versa, and that you're sharing the printer (on the PC). If not, you'll need to set up a network on your PC so the PC can 'see' the MBP, and the MBP knows what server to connect to. Make sure you're in the same workgroup, and that you know the name and password of the user account on the PC that you want to connect to.

If running the network setup wizard on the PC doesn't enable your PC to 'see' your MBP, you may have firewall issues, or there may be an error in the IP settings on the PC. (Experts jump in here if they know what I'm talking about. Something called Winsock, and resetting it?)

After I managed to get my PC and my MBP to share files both ways, I had the issue of the MBP not being able to 'see' the printer attached to the PC. (even though the printer was being shared). This was solved by sharing all of the documents and settings in the 'Main' folder in My Documents. As to why this worked, I have no idea, but after I did that, the MBP could see that there was a printer attached to the PC when I ran the Printer Setup utility.

To run connect to a printer attached to a PC, look here for help:

http://www.ifelix.net/tech/3015.html

I hope this helps! It took several hours of frustration and tweaking to get this to work, so hang in there!

mac-a-geetar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Router Problems

I just recently bought a Linksys WRT54G router. Any pointers on how to make it work with a Macbook Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.