Windows never crashed this much.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by in/flux, May 21, 2008.

1. in/flux macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro 2.4ghz Penryn, my first mac, and for the first few days I was satisfied, though the past few weeks I've been getting less and less satisfied with the performance of OS X.

Every other day, at a random point as I'm using the laptop, it starts to freeze for 10 seconds, with the mouse and keyboard being unusable, and then for 5 seconds it is fine again, where I can move my mouse and type stuff.

This happens in a loop, and the processes that regularly gain control of the processor are syslogd and kernel_task. I also have seen, lately, the following error show up on Console:

Code:
    IOHIDEventQueueEnqueue: Error enqueuing memory.
    That error message shows up A LOT.

Code:
    May 21 20:18:51 macbook-pro /usr/libexec/hidd[39]: IOHIDEventQueueEnqueue: Error enqueuing memory. (0xe00002e8) 
    May 21 20:27:44: --- last message repeated 3 times ---
    May 21 20:18:51 macbook-pro /usr/libexec/hidd[39]: IOHIDEventQueueEnqueue: Error enqueuing memory. (0xe00002e8) 
    May 21 20:28:14: --- last message repeated 3 times ---
    May 21 20:28:30: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
    May 21 20:29:11: --- last message repeated 3 times ---
    May 21 20:29:29: --- last message repeated 2 times ---

Yes, I DO use Parallels, and yes, I have installed the latest build 5600 May 09 2008. This fixed the problem with 1 out of 2 CPUs rescheduled or something that was previously locking up my system.

Screenshot of Activity Monitor:
    [​IMG]

Anyone know what the hell is going on? Thanks!

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This problem has been reported numerous times, with no single solution which I have seen. It isn't crashing, btw, so that's not exactly an accurate thread title you've got there.

Check the login items in the Accounts System Preferences. What have you got listed?

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

Hmm. Sounds to me like you have faulty RAM. Maybe you should call Apple?

4. The General macrumors 601

1. Start with insulting thread title.

2. Paste some info you could've pasted into Google.

3. ???

4. Profit!

5. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In the percussion section.

7. in/flux thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, after a while the graphics just stop moving, sound stalls, and the mouse can't be moved.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Does it happen when parallels is running? If so then it's not 'random' as you described. It's happening when parallels is running, meaning it has to do with parallels and their support forum might be a good starting place.

Not sure if the DHCP runs when parallels is not running but that's been known to cause issues too.

This IS a known problem (googling a little bit ago showed lots of results) it's even worse on the MBA.

Fusion is actually more stable.

I've seen a lot of threads of 'unhappy' people with their Macs when in fact it's mostly software related. Sure there's fair share of hardware/design/etc but when it's 3rd party software, one can hardly claim the MBP isn't living up to it's 'really not living up to what I expected lately'.

Good luck, if it IS crashing while parallels is running then try their support group, the people there are software specific and can probably help a bit better.

Another thing to try is remove parallels (if possible depending on how much you have invested in the virtual disk) and remove it completely, then see if the crashes return. And I mean it has to be COMPLETELY gone. If your seeing (under network) the parallels virtual adapters, then it's not fully gone.

I previously blamed one software for not working when in fact it was a different software causing the issues. Removed the latter and my needed software ran like a champ.

If parallels is the culprit, then hopefully a fix is coming, or bite the bullet and switch to VMWare.

9. in/flux thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, kkat. I was, however, NOT running Parallels when it happened, nor had I run it previous.

However, I have the 5600 update, which fixes the Parallels syslogd problems with rescheduling cores and stuff.

With that said, I'll be switching to VMWare Fusion once v2 comes out. I've heard that it's much better than Parallels, so I'll try it.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I would highly recommend for you to do a complete erase and install of Leopard since you are having so many uncommon problems with Leopard. It's really a very good OS with very few issues and based on these major issues you are having you MAY have a bad image on the drive.

11. Edot macrumors 6502

The hidd executable is related to bluetooth. Are you doing anything related to your bluetooth hardware? Wireless peripherals? Software syncing with bluetooth devices? I would check there first.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Do not reinstall. Have you tried my suggestion? Could take all of ten seconds.

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

That's not crashing.