Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

Any suggestions on a Windows Notepad like APP for Mac ? I thought the built in Notes app in the MAC OS X is still not as clean as the MS Windows Notepad.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You'd want to change it to open new documents as plain text in Preferences too.

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 10.23.40 AM.png

Reactions: augustya and yey365

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Thanks Looks like this is exactly what I was looking for, Textedit without the Rich Text Format. Now it looks like a Notepad equivalent.

I would agree that TextEdit with Rich Text Format disabled is a good analog to the Windows Notepad.

At the same time, TextWrangler that myflynn recommended is a good tool. It much more powerful and more like the freeware NotePad++ that is available for Windows, but it might not be simple enough for some applications. I have NotePad, WordPad, and NotePad++ withing easy reach on my Windows machines and both TextEdit and TextWrangler on my Mac's Dock. I find I use TextEdit much more than TextWrangler. It's a case of which took best fits the job at hand. Extra features can sometimes get in the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.