Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris Neylon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I have the OEM version of Windows XP Pro Sp2 and i am having trouble installing it using boot camp 2.0. The general opinion seems to be that the OEM version works fine so would someone please be able to help me.

Chris Neylon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
i've been to the apple website and the Boot camp upgrade is for windows. if you've had success installing an oem copy please let me know what you had to do, if you could be specific that would be great as i've probably missed something really stupid.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
It would help us to know a bit more about exactly what kind of "trouble" you're having. Otherwise, the only advice I can give is to follow the instructions--it should work!

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
It would help us to know a bit more about exactly what kind of "trouble" you're having. Otherwise, the only advice I can give is to follow the instructions--it should work!

I agree. I just installed it a few weeks ago. Initially, I thought I had a hitch, because the screen went blank with just a flashing cursor, but when I rebooted, all was fine.

Chris Neylon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
ok. After partitioning the disk i insert the xp disk and start the install. the computer then restarts and i get the blue loading screen, after that i get the screen to select the partition to install the os on. i then get two loading screens in a row, the first one isn't problem and finishes in seconds but the second one usually freezes at some point, usually around 44 or 88%. sometimes after it has sat on a certain percent for a while a get an option to try and reinstall the file or skip it but sometimes it just sits there till i turn the computer off. One time i got to 100% but then i just got a screen that said the disk could not be read or it was corrupt or something and "press any key to restart." which doesn't work.

I've tried making the partition 74GB, 40GB, 35GB and 32GB and the furthest i've got through the installation is when i chose 40.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
A couple of things to check:

You are using 32-bit XP, right?

Are you sure that your "OEM" version is legitimate (i.e., the genuine Microsoft System Builder pack with hologram, etc.? I ask because in the past we've seen people having problems with illegitimate install disks passed off by unscrupulous online merchants as "OEM." Or, sometimes people think they can get away with installing from OEM "recovery" disks that come with Dells, etc.

You mention that you get a message that it wants to attempt to reinstall a file??? This is not part of the normal XP install routine. Please provide the exact message...could it be that your install CD is bad?

Lastly, out of curiosity, what machine are you attempting to install on?

Chris Neylon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I'm not sure if it's 32 bit, how do i find out

the computer is an early 2008 macbook pro, 4GB ram, 2.4 GHz intel Core 2 duo processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.