Windows Office 2010 on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Stef4n, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Stef4n macrumors regular

Hey,

as soon as the new MBP will be released, I want to switch to Mac. Unfortunatly I bought an expensive office copy two month ago. I have two questions:
    1. Is my office 2010 key also working, when I use a mac cd and install it on my mac?
    2. Do you recommend my to use Office 2010 via Windows Boot Camp? Are there any disadvantages, I should know?

Thanks for your help!

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

1. Nope, there are separate keys for the mac and pc versions of office.

2. Yes, office 2010 works in windows through bootcamp. The disadvantages are the trackpad is horrible in windows, so you'll likely need to get a second mouse. Depending on the screen size you get, office can be good or bad. It's a pain to use on a 13" screen, but fine for a 15" screen.

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

if possible, can you return it? if so, then return it and buy office 2011... i have 2011 and i <3 it!!
    if you cant return it... you could use it, but try out free programs such as open office and look around for freeware that suits your needs.
    if youre a typer use evernote, etc. things like that..

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I found that the latest Boot Camp drivers has made the trackpad very, very useable on Windows. :) I rarely use a USB mouse now. I haven't tried the tap to click function (which I had problems with) since installing version 3.2 of Boot Camp but I'm happy with press to click.

5. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

I agree. With the new drivers and Parallels tools the track pad now brings new life to Windows on a Mac for me.

6. Stef4n thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your answers!
    Unfortunatly I can't return it anymore. It's not possible to return opened/used software in Germany.
    I tried to work with open office once before, but I missed to many functionalities MS Office offers.
    So I will try the bootcamp option, since I still have Win7 Prof.
    Again, thanks!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If Office is all you need it for, why not run W7 and Office in Virtualbox/Fusion/Parallels.

B

8. Stef4n thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I considered that, but I am not sure if this can calculate large excel spreadsheets without any perfomance problems. And I'm talking about files with 50-150mb.

But I will try a virtuel box. I've heard that this is better due to safety issues.

9. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Or you can download a free copy of Virtualbox. Install that, install Windows as a VM and run it from there when you need it...

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

So they fixed the drivers from 3.0 and 3.1? I havn't updated to 3.2 because I read somewhere it messes things up even more!

12. brandone macrumors member

Dont waste your time with VMware, Parallels, or Crossover. A program runs its best when run natively. Even if you cannot exchange your copy of Office, pay the extra money for Office for Mac. What is the point of owning a Mac if you are just using Windows. #justsayin

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For most purposes, running Office in a VM is running it natively. Meaning that you get full compatibility with the specific Windows version of Office you are running.

Although Excel was originally a Mac program, Office is natively a Windows app.

B

14. brandone macrumors member

Would you argue with me if i said that VM is much more taxing on a system than simply running office for mac?

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Of course, but there are many things that Office:mac won't do that you can do trivially in the Windows version which can be deal breakers for real work.

http://www.macworld.com/article/155113/2010/10/excel2011faq.html
    http://www.macworld.com/article/155847/2010/11/word2011faq.html
    http://www.macworld.com/article/155727/2010/11/outlook2011faq.html
    Of course, several useful Office components namely Access, Visio and Project don't exist for the Mac, and many other third-party add-ins don't exist for the Mac.

Personally, most of my smaller Office document work has migrated to Google Docs so I can get at it anywhere.

B

16. brandone macrumors member

Well then, he should just get a PC then, save himself about $1500 and get a computer that is way faster and is fully compatible with all of his work.
    So Stef4n, you will be completely crippled if you buy a mac to do work. Things like access and project wont work! Even though you didn't mention those things, its better that you have a PC just incase you ever need to use them. I recommend Dell, they are #1 in customer care and they also cover accidental damage, apple does not.

17. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i agree. buy a PC.. you'll get better performance than the mac. i suggest you go for the "business" class PC's as they are made much better than consumer notebooks are. all PC sites have them, you just have to search for it.
    :)

good luck and post the computers you are looking at PC and MAC alike, we will certainly help you pick the best one :)

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:rolleyes:

In many cases Macs run Windows better or at least as well as a buiness class PC and can still do everything a Mac can do that a Windows PC can't.

B

19. vistadude macrumors 65816

I think you should get a pc. You're clearly an experienced excel user likely using formulas, graphs, and equations, and lots of keyboard shortcuts and the windows experience is simply much better than trying to run an virtual machine or even bootcamp. The mac hardware is just too different, especially on the laptop where you can't easily use a "PC" keyboard or a useable trackpad. It makes a huge difference to have the ctrl, alt, and windows keys in the right place and a trackpad which can detect the difference between a tap and a mis-tap.

20. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i mean i hate to say this but once again, this time you should think about the PC.. but ask yourself this:
    what are the possible uses i wish for in my future computer [dont think PC or Mac aka dont bias it with what you WANT to get] just ask yourself this question make a list and post it here.
    that would help us help you decide whether to get a mac or a PC. because quite frankly by saying you have office 2010 really doesnt tell us what you should be getting 100%

**Yes this sort of contradicts my last post, but the other posts after mine has made me think quite a bit about my response. **

21. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

I personally ended up using two PC's- my work laptop is a Lenovo running Excel, but my Macbook Air also can run Excel fine for reviewing formula/incidental use. I also have Boot Camp/Parallels and Office 2010 available just in case I ever need it but the above posts are right- may as well get a PC.