Windows + Office in Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by derbu, Feb 13, 2014.

1. derbu macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Air with OS X. I bought Office for Mac around a year ago.

However, I am still really annoyed by the difference in the shortcuts compared to the Windows I have learnt and used up until now.

What do I have to do in order to have office with the Windows shortcuts? Buy Bootcamp and Office for Windows? What happens to the Office for Mac I already bought?

Any cheaper solutions?

2. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

What are some of the shortcuts available only in the Windows version?

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

You don't "buy Bootcamp", it is already included with every Mac and just provides a facility for installing Windows. You would need to buy a copy of the Windows operating system (like Windows 7 or Windows 8) and install that however, then of course you would have to buy a copy of Office as well.

Before I retired, I ran the Windows version of Office on my MBP because my employer didn't support Macs and at that time I needed some scheduling features not available in the Mac version. My employer already had a site license for Office, so I didn't need to purchase that.

Now with Bootcamp you choose whether you want to boot into EITHER Windows OR MacOSX at startup. After making that choice your MBA will either be a Windows-only or Mac-only machine until you reboot. If you want to run Windows at the same time as MacOSX, you will also need to buy some kind of virtualization software like Parallels.

As far as the shortcuts, I don't enjoy working in Office and tend to avoid it these days. ;) But surely there's a way to define your own shortcuts, isn't there?

4. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

So you would rather create a whole other solution than learn a new shortcut combination?

5. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Buy VMware Fusion, create a Windows VM, install Office on the Windows VM and thanks to Unity, run Office 2010/2013 as if it were native :)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What shortcuts specifically, control-c, control-v works within the apps, they function like cmd-c, and cmd-v

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

OP says he's been using Office on the Mac for a year now. You'd think that would be long enough. :)

9. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I built a Windows 7 VM and use that for my the windows-specific stuff I need to do for work.

Personally I use VMware Fusion, but VirtualBox would have been sufficient.

Yes - M$ Office for Mac functions a bit differently than Office for Windows, but the basic capability is there and I find it quite usable.

I recently took a new job, and luckily I can bring my own device to work, so I created a VM of my new work-provided Windows 7 laptop and gave it 4 gig or memory. Works like a charm and so far no dirty looks from management. :)

10. derbu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies.

So, yes the answer is that I use many shortcuts that I have learnt from Windows (I am not talking about the simple ones ctrl+c / ctrl+v) and they are all different in Mac Office.

Which one is the cheapest option? VM ware?

11. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

The cheapest virtualization option would be Virtual Box. Keep in mind that you'll need licensed copies of Windows and Office to install.

12. Stingray454, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I'd say the cheapest option is to not buy windows at all, and use Wineskin. Check out this link for info on how to package windows apps as OS X apps. You would of course need an office license though, so if you're getting that, try this method before buying windows and you'll save a few bucks (on both windows license and vm license). Note that it _might_ cause some bugs (wine is still not perfect), but it's well worth a shot before going the VM route :)

13. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I did this last week on my MacBook Air. I recommend using Boot Camp over Parallels for three reasons: The MacBook Air reboots really quickly - it's not a big deal to reboot into Windows or back into OS X. Parallels costs a lot of money and contains advertisements that you cannot turn off, and finally Boot Camp is the fastest way to run Windows on your Mac.

You can find cheap yet legal copies of Office 2013 and Windows 8 online. You shouldn't need to spend more than $180 (Office Home & Student can be found for around $100 and Windows 8 OEM is around $80) total if that is within your price range.

You might also want to check out LibreOffice. I believe that a lot of the key combinations are the same or can be made the same as Microsoft Office for Windows.

14. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Wow, really? Where do the ads appear? My version is old and I haven't used it in about 3 years, but there certainly weren't any advertisements.

15. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

16. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Man that must be annoying.

17. NewbieCanada, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Parallels costs $50 as an upgrade or on sale and you can turn off the ads.